HEATER CORE EEEEZ!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, driving along and coolant starts dripping on the pax side floor, vapor steaming u windows and chokin' the begeepers out of me. I make it home, up my big long 7 mile hill. Whew-eeee!

I couldn't believe how inexpensive the heater core is for these vehicles! Less than 30 bucks at NAPA!

Second, with the help of OB members former commentaries on "how to", the exchange took me less than an hour to do! It took me longer to open the core box with as much tape was on it!

Test drive was simple simon, blasts heat like crazy and my only error was not getting the heater control cable seated properly to activate the heat control valve. Simple adjustment in a toolless clip and viola!

To avoid the cable issue ( at least on a 1990), make sure the head controller lever is placed in the coolest setting. This positions the cable perfectly to just snap back into the little metal clip. If the head controller lever is elsewhere before clipping the cable back in, the valve assy will interfere with the back of the metal clip mount! Then it won't function 100%. Cable position matters in the clip.

Lastly, I did purchase a thermostat, the 192F, but not because I wanted this one, it's what NAPA would sell me, I prefer the 175-180's for our summer heat and many hills we have around here, gives me a better reach for cooling. The only issue with a normaly 15 minute thermostat swap is.... these freakin' engines have 'em buried!

Well, looks like I have to take the alternator and fuel filter housing off..... sheeeesh!

Can't win em all!

Thanks again for this site, and all of you who post such relevant fixes everyone can use. :thumbsup:

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be thankful you don't have a Town Car. The whole dash needs to come out to change a $60 part. Six hours minimum if you know what you are doing and I don't so I let the mechanics do it.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own three sawzalls and know how to use epoxy! LOL

Not in a million years!

Besides, the removal of some unnecessary weight might give better fuel mileage!?

In that scenario... I'd plug hoses, go buy a gang of dash plugs, upsize the wires, add a 30amp fuse, and install 5 harborF 12V electric heaters! cookoo -cuss I'm lazy like that!

Klownifornia hillbilly!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do some searching about using aftermarket thermostats in these engines. I am pretty sure the general consensus is to just spend the money at a ford or international dealer and only do the job once. Great news on the heater core swap though. Hope one day my 92 will be just as easy!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go that way and return the Chinese one NAPA sold me.

Besides, it didn't come with the gasket that is needed. You'd figure when asking for the Ford part replacement, it would come with, or have a note on the parts screen to "advise" purchase.

Ah well.... it'll have to wait another weekend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please... Return the cheapanese part. Even though its the correct looking part and temp its a pos.. We have a member that was having issues with his stat. So he removed it to replace it.. The pics were horrifying. Two of the arms had broken off the body so it was about ready to ruin a good engine. The only part we recommend members to only buy is this part form only Ford and International parts counters. The actuall part number is listed in the parts bin and easy to find. Installing the wrong stat is a problem that you do not want. We do have some members that run after market stats and are doing well.. But thats not the norm at all....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Gary said, and myself too, cheapanese is just that and also junkanese!

Your on the right track, returning that thermostat back for one from Ford or IH is the way to go for sure.

Take and install that FORD stat and be very pleased with your purchase.

Congratulations on the ez install of the replacement heater core they really are not that difficult.

Keep it up

Al