Headliner clearance

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the headliner and the roof on my '92?

Thanks-----------Robert

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be different on a '92, but on my '84, there was about 1/2" of clearance IIRC. That space was filled in with insulation padding.

There's a lip around the edge, that in the front and the back extends about 3 or 4 inches. At this point, the headliner sits flush against the lip. If you'd like, I can take some pictures of what my setup looks like...I pulled the sagging headliner in 2003, and still haven't put it back in...either going to re-line the current headliner or replace it; that's still up in the air, and I'm also going to renew the insulation when time and $$ allow...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was room to run any ducting in there, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe some more insulation though.
That crew cab, the kids are always hot in the back, so I'm rigging an extra ac in the back. I ordered a paralell flow condenser this week and I'm going to rig an extra evaporator unit under the back seat and duct it in somehow either up the back corners and across the ceiling, or up through the front seat backs, or the pillars, not sure yet If I go ceiling, It sounds like I'll have to drop down. Wonder if I could find one of those center strip ceiling console units. That would be perfect to rig into. The thing has marks on the headliner like it used to have one in it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could always fabricate or buy a overhead center console to and possibly run the duct work through it instead.

True, I do have a bunch of nice wood grain stuff leftover from restoring the 5er, wouldn't be hard to fab up a stand alone unit and pop it up.