Headlight switch and wiring 1984

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the ground wire should be for the headlight switch. My headlights and tail lights quit. The headlights have 3 prongs and I grounded my test light and the top middle wire has 12 volts is this correct. I pulled the switch out of the dash but not sure where to check the switch with the ohms meter.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlight switch doesn't really have a ground. It's job is to switch the 12v circuit, the grounding part is in the harness out at the lights. So the current runs from the battery +, through all the truck wiring, through the headlight switch, through the dimmer switch in the floor, and then out to the headlight prongs, through the filament in the headlight, and then out the ground prong down the ground wire, to a bolted on ground connection. Not sure where that is off the top of my head.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diagram below is for a 1986. You can see the ground for the headlights in the diagram is G801 and G802. You can look in the little picture to the right and see G801 in one of them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlight switch doesn't really have a ground. It's job is to switch the 12v circuit, the grounding part is in the harness out at the lights. So the current runs from the battery +, through all the truck wiring, through the headlight switch, through the dimmer switch in the floor, and then out to the headlight prongs, through the filament in the headlight, and then out the ground prong down the ground wire, to a bolted on ground connection. Not sure where that is off the top of my head.
OK thank you. The only + 12 I'm getting to the headlight plugs is the top center on the headlight plug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster