Headgaskets.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok haven't updated y'all with what's going on with my truck. Been real busy working on the truck and damn book reports.
But anyways. Saturday night I blew the passenger side headgasket out. Driving down the road and BAAM! Boost spool up/pressure dropped alittle. Don't think much about it just assumed it was where my down pipe fell off from the rest of the exhaust( happened at the same time wth?) park the truck and go in for the night.
Next. Morning I get home from church and go to start my truck. Talk about a a bear to start. Hop underthe truck and I can see peices of gasket hanging out and leaking coolant....well ****.
Park the truck and dug into it today.
Intake. Intake hat, All fuel lines removed. Gp wiring harness removed.pull the turbo then both up pipes and the turbo pedestal. Next I pull off the intake manifold.
That's as far as I got today it got late and it was dinner time.
Now here's were I have questions.
1. Would my local auto parts store have fel pro headgaskets or am I going to have to order them and overnight them here?
2. While the head is off I'm just going to do both sides. So i wantto upgrade to studs ( key word there is want ) 1/2 in 7 in long stud correct? Were would be the cheapest place to getthem. I could order them from local auto parts store while I'm picking up my gaskets.
3. Before I go yanking things. The valley pan gasket where I'm at now. How doese it come off? And doese it need to be replaced while it's off or is r reusable? It looks fine just insanely dirty.
4. Proper way to pull the heads off and how heavy are those big things.
Finally. Doese anybody have the order to torque down the heads.
Thank you guys sorry for all the questions.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Napa has Felpro gaskets, I think Typ4 has a venue for reasonable head studs. If not him, someone mentioned it and was a whole lot more affordable than ARP. The valley pan gasket is not reuseable and will probably get mangled as you pry it off. Most would recommend using a cherry picker to help pull the heads off. I would guess about 80lbs each:eek: I have the Ford manual for torque sequence but its not at my fingertips right now, sorry.:dunno Good luck wrenching;Sweet

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankyou Goose;Sweet
I'll head down to napa this week and grab 2 head gaskets and see if they have a vally pan gasket too thanks.
Yikes 80lbs:O well better than what I thought... I got 2 people and my dad to help me so that shouldn't be to bad.
Ahhh time to go digging for my Haynes manual then...

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add no cherry picker or engine stand anything like that other wise I would have pulled the engine and regasketed EVERYTHING. Oh well do what ucan with what u got.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
This little asian can man handle the heads off these motors no problem. I did my head gaskets on my 91 in sandles!

Get the felpro head set. Comes with new valve stem seals. While the heads are off anyway. The valley pan gasket does not come with it.

Advance had to order mine in but they had them in a couple hours.

If you still need them, i can post the torque sequence when i get to the shop tommorow.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you'd rather pull your engine out and re-gasket it, I can help you out with the cherry picker. I'm only 2 hours away from you...

Black dawg

Reaction score
This little asian can man handle the heads off these motors no problem. I did my head gaskets on my 91 in sandles!

Get the felpro head set. Comes with new valve stem seals. While the heads are off anyway. The valley pan gasket does not come with it.

Advance had to order mine in but they had them in a couple hours.

If you still need them, i can post the torque sequence when i get to the shop tommorow.

You are a tough sob then, I have done them by myself and thought I was going to die.LOL

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that crazy Asian I'll let you know tomorrow if I can't find my manual;Sweet
And that actually makes me feel better about this job that it's not that hard to man handle out. Thanks!

Lindstromejd- I may take you up on that this summer when I'm out of school. That was my initial plan till I blew this damn headgasket. At this point tho I need the truck back on the road. Have till the 6th of Jan to get it done and I really don't think I could pull t and put it back in that amour of time.
I really appreciate the offer tho and if it still stands come summer I'd love to meet you.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
You are a tough sob then, I have done them by myself and thought I was going to die.LOL

I thought i was gonna die when i slipped off the bricknose front bumper and i fell to the ground and i thought the head was gonna land on me. NEVER, NEVER, EVEr pull a head in sandles!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I thought i was gonna die when i slipped off the bricknose front bumper and i fell to the ground and i thought the head was gonna land on me. NEVER, NEVER, EVEr pull a head in sandles!

:rotflmao:rotflmao

I'm guessing you might have at least did a smell test on yer britches after that one. No?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Proper way to pull heads: untorque bolts in reverse order of torque sequence. That means don't just unscrew the bolts willy nilly, do them in order.

Heads weigh about 95 pounds each, dressed. Make handles to lift them out of short lengths of chain (covered with garden hose) bolted down to the valve cover bolt holes. Careful with the head to block dowels, they can fall out and make problems.

Valley pan gasket should not be reused unless you are really, really lucky. They crush into form on the first use, will not do it twice, but you can try using silicone in a pinch. Not hard to get, but pricey, usually about $50 on ebay.

Studs are a good investment and can be reused, unlike bolts. The price is well worth one set of head gaskets and all the aggravation of replacing them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fir all that its faster to pull the front clip and engine, IMO. stud set is about 410 ish last check.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You could do the stud install with the engine in the truck but you have to install the head with the rear 2 in the head as you put it on the block or you'll never get them around the body firewall after the head is on the block.

I've reused valley pan gaskets several times, yea I don't recommend it to most folks because most people don't take the care needed to ensure it doesn't get damaged but like I said when my family was really poor in the 90's we did heads a couple times and to save money we reused the valley pan without a problem at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online