Header Wrap For Cross Over Pipe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So I want to wrap my turbo cross over pipe and need to know how much materialI need. I looked on the summit catalog and found lenghts of 15, 50 and 100 ft. I'm figureing on using the 2 inch wide material. I have found copper,titanium and ceramic material too. Really not interested in the metal material. Just simple header wrap. If I end up buying more than I need I will probably offer it on this site....

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right I used 50 or so for my two uppipes on my hypermax kit.
Are you just doing the crossover?

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine. I had a fellow tell me to unwrap and soak in water to make it easy to wrap.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. The Banks cross over pipe goes from the drivers side manifold to the Banks adapter thats bolted to the passenger side manifold.... Remove 4 nuts. Droppipe... Wrap it and reinstall it...Get ready to go....:sly

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I used a 50 roll. FYI, I also noticed that my pipe is swiss cheese now 6 months later, so I've got another one on the way. I'm trying to figure out if it's a result of wrapping an old pipe, or if it was that far gone already. I'm wrapping the new one right off the bat because the heat is too much.

Just thought I'd mention my swiss cheese experience since you appear to be wrapping an old pipe.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wrap retains more heat, and unevenly. This stresses the pipe out more.

More performance but your exhaust may not love it.

If i get enough money going ceramic coating is the way to go -Drool-Drool

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Might want to wrap the up pipe and the hot side of teh turbo as well. Hit the wrap with the spray silicone coating . Prep the pipes and coat them with it first and let dry before wrapping and you wont have a problem with your pipes faling apart. as always, a little prep work goes a long way

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Might want to wrap the up pipe and the hot side of teh turbo as well. Hit the wrap with the spray silicone coating . Prep the pipes and coat them with it first and let dry before wrapping and you wont have a problem with your pipes faling apart. as always, a little prep work goes a long way

this :)

when wrapping my race exhaust for my motorcycle i prep and use a exhaust "hi temp" rattle can paint , then depending on the clearance issues i wrap with 1/4 overlay to 1/2 and try to keep it as tight as possible , it is a lot simpler with two guys one holding one wrapping and do not be afraid to pull ******* it :)

or you can g to jett hot and have it ceramic coated for just a few extra coin :)

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the instructions on the wrap closely. The wrap I used said to not wet it and not coat it. It was the 2000 degree lava wrap if I remember right.

jmac212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the two inch wrap as per instructions and a fifty foot roll was more than enough to do the crossover, y-pipe and down pipe on my ATS 093 with 3 inch downpipe. My wrap specified to wet it, wrap it and let it dry prior to spraying it with the silicone. Only a couple hundred miles on it so far, so I will pull it and inspect for degradation at my next oil change. If it is ok, then I have another fifty foot roll and spray to re-install.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand about the wraps is that the metal crystalizes and falls apart as was mentioned in a previous post. Doing a used pipe will cause it's failure sooner. I think ceramic coating is the way to go, but choose your company well. I had my manifolds and pipes done and the coating didn't hold up well at all. Same company did my racebike exhaust and it is still perfect. I don't know why one held up and the other is trash. Cast iron is more porous and maybe it didn't get prepped right.

Is there someone on here that has long term wrapped pipe experience that can chime in. I am going by what I have heard.

Jeff

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
every set of headers i have wrapped witch to date is 5/ 4 being motorcycles, have been fine. im sure if you start with a rusty set of anything wrap it then yah it will prob fail, i would wire wheel it down to the good metal, temp coat it then wrap it, then silicone it like i have done so far so good! Jett hot does good ceramic coating i used it on my yamaha and its fine, i was going to do my bmw but i like the look of blued titanium ;0)

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Look at the instructions on the wrap closely. The wrap I used said to not wet it and not coat it. It was the 2000 degree lava wrap if I remember right.

Absolutely correct. Thank you for posting this and prompting me to go search their website. I have a 50ft x2" roll of the Titanium wrap on my shelf ready to go next weekend.

Straight from the DEI website:

>Withstands 1800˚F direct/2500˚F radiant heat
>Promotes increased flow for improved performance
>High resistance to chemical & oil spills and abrasions
>Reduces temperature & vibration breakdown
>Extremely pliable for easy install – will not shrink
>No need to "wet" wrap to install

NOTE: Design Engineering HT Silicone Coating spray is NOT recommended for DEI Titanium wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online