Head Bolts

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque to yield? Is that where one of the two bolt heads twists off when it's tight enough?

The one I just took apart had what looked like standard, 12 point bolts. I had to buy some 12 point sockets. It's been a long time since I got into an engine.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque to yield? Is that where one of the two bolt heads twists off when it's tight enough?

The one I just took apart had what looked like standard, 12 point bolts. I had to buy some 12 point sockets. It's been a long time since I got into an engine.

The 6.0 and newer 7.3 engines used the torque to yield bolts and were notorious for leaking and blown head gaskets. As soon as my 6.0 F-350 went out of warranty I changed them out for a good set of studs and tossed the egr cooler.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Factory spec is 100 lb/ft. I believe that I've seen people say they've gone to 110 but don't quote me on that. Even though they aren't TTY bolts, they can and do stretch some over time. The best bet is head studs.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory spec is 100 lb/ft. I believe that I've seen people say they've gone to 110 but don't quote me on that. Even though they aren't TTY bolts, they can and do stretch some over time. The best bet is head studs.

Is that for the 7.3 or the 6.9? I assume they have different torque specs?

Is that spec oiled threads? I know it's supposed to make a difference if the threads are lubricated or dry.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that for the 7.3 or the 6.9? I assume they have different torque specs?

Is that spec oiled threads? I know it's supposed to make a difference if the threads are lubricated or dry.
That’s for the 7.3. And I did mine oiled just for a more accurate reading, but I don’t know if it’s supposed to be done oiled

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, it's not boost that blows gaskets, it's the (much) higher pressures from burning that air with more fuel.
So 45 psi and no extra fuel may not blow a gasket, while 10 with extra fuel may.

That being said, I've run a N/A IDI block and bolts at 15 psi, ~250 RWHP for over a year before failure... and I cranked it up *after* I'd overheated the engine and had the gaskets weeping coolant when hot already...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online