Having issues with push rods.....

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finally getting back to building my 7.3t , but I'm confused with the push rods . I have read that one end is a softer metal (?) And they will not last long if installed upside-down. I was very careful to keep them in order and facing the same end up as I pulled them . Now that I am installing them , I see that some have the small mark on the push rod up , and some down (?). I also noticed that some have a small round indent, and others have just a rough mark .
Please ignore the typos. I posted this from my phone .

Thanks !

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like someone before you changed them around not knowing which end is up... Ebay has a set of 16 for $48.00. Thats the easy answer. Just replace them and be sure..

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda Low on cash at the moment , as I have a lot of projects going on.. are the indents supposed to be up or down ? My other engine looked the same way , and I was pretty confident that it had never been tore into before , which is weird . Should the lifters be replaced too ? What about the rockers?

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the lifters unless they have flat spots I would use them back. They are roller lifters so the are to subject to wear like flat tappets.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always heard that cams and lifters were married for life and if you replace one you replace the other. Pushrods are not included in this logic.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roller lifters are OK for reuse, some early ones just had the pin, later ones have needle bearings. If just pinned check for wear, if needle clean real good. Your push rods, who knows, just put them back in like you took them out, they are worn to fit the rockers. Your broke so, guess you'll have to reuse them, best to get a new set tho. The copper coat was just for breakin on new engines. The lube oil comes up thru them to the rockers. The proper way is to replace the push rods and rockers. No mileage or year stated so it's any bodies guess on what to do. Use assembly lube on all the parts, real sticky stuff, that lubes til the oil pressure comes up.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine came out of a '94 with 150k miles . I'm short on cash, but I can't afford to blow the engine up either , so if new ones are mandatory , I will buy some . Thanks for the advice guys .