Have questions, need answers ASAP!

Reaction score
Ok I have i 78 scotsdale 1/2 ton, 4 w/d, 4 speed manual, 350 engine. And a 86 silverado 1/2 ton, 6.2 diesel, automatic, 2 w/d. What i need to know is will that 6.2 bolt up to the transmission in the scotsdale without alot of work. The 350 is about to puke its guts out all over the pavement(it misplaces 2-4 quarts of oil a day)lol. If someone could get back to me. I have a day to figure this out. Because the i do have a 350 lined up but its gone tomorrow, but i would rather have the 6.2 in it. 1-785-626-6199 ASAP!!!!!:dunno

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
well, as far as I know...the 6.2 and 350 have the SAME bolt pattern on the bell housing. But I think you will need a diesel torque converter, the diesel engine mounts, radiator and the usual wiring.....I am not 100% on anything other than the bolt patternis for sure the same, and the motor mounts are different than the gas mounts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, as far as I know...the 6.2 and 350 have the SAME bolt pattern on the bell housing. But I think you will need a diesel torque converter, the diesel engine mounts, radiator and the usual wiring.....I am not 100% on anything other than the bolt patternis for sure the same, and the motor mounts are different than the gas mounts.
it's a bolt up like he said. diesel torque convertor needed. frame pad location is the same as any gasser chevy. use the diesel radiator support for the larger radiator.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You need the 6.2L flywheel and a pilot bushing (not a fan of the roller bearing). May as well put a fresh clutch in at the same time.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to use a diesel torque converter otherwise the tranny doesn't want to engage or shift until too high of an RPM. That being said, with a 5.7 diesel to 327 Chevy conversion I did once, I used the diesel converter and got very good mileage though the holeshot was gone.

4320diesel

Turbo 6.2L
Reaction score
you need the diesel converter to tap into all the low end power it makes. lock up is around 1500 RPM i think. the tranny also has to have its govener reworked because the diesel shift points are lower and closer together.

Rev D

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but he has a manual truck and wants to put the motor from the Automatic truck into it. Wouldn't he need a flywheel and bushing like I think someone else mentioned above, no reason for a torque converter right?

Regards,

Don

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but he has a manual truck and wants to put the motor from the Automatic truck into it. Wouldn't he need a flywheel and bushing like I think someone else mentioned above, no reason for a torque converter right?

Regards,

Don

That's the way I understood it too...