Have IP & Injectors - need timing...

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a set of BB injectors and a fresh IP sitting in a box for quite some time - my 6.9 starts and runs fine, but I know it is down on power. I can replace the injectors and IP just fine, but everything sits on a shelf because I don't have a way to time the engine when I'm done.

I've only got the one diesel and I don't know anyone else with one in my area, so buying tools to do the job once seems a bit extreme.

Is anyone still loaning out timing meters? The shops local to me don't work on the older stuff anymore, they just peddle the electronic tuners and cator to the newer croud.

It would be super cool to find someone local that has the equipment that could give a hand in timing the pump, but I can follow directions easy enough if I have the tools myself.

Can anyone help a guy out? I'm in central MN - 30 minutes north of the Twin Cities.

Thanks-

Kyle

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't let that IP set too long on the shelf. The test fluid will start to varnish the workings of the pump. It is common for the meter valve to stick when this happens.

It is unlikely the timing is correct of the IP you have now, so I would NOT let that alone keep you from installing your new fuel parts.

Gary (icanfixall) was renting out timing meters, but one was returned broken. Not sure if the program is back up and running.

Heath

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, before I install it, could I soak it in soilvent or diesel to clean it up? I know the IP is original and the ODO is reading past 60K, and I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing at least 160K on it....

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not bite the bullet and purchase a Ferret pulse timing adapter and use it with a standard timing light. $200 and you will always have it. That's what I did!

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always resell as there are always people looking to buy them.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
^^^^

Thats a solid point, If you use it to time your truck, and sell it for a little less, so what? Youd only be out a couple of bucks, and I always try to tell myself Ive spent more to get less...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buying and selling timing meters is like paying for timing once. But you will be timing the engine every time to change the injecters. Look at it this way. Say you time your engine now and find out the injecters pop open at 1600 lbs but this is found out after you removed them. Installed some BB codes whos pop press is 1850lbs. Or a set of G turbo codes and know they pop ar 2300 lbs. So now your pump is having to build more pressure to pop the new injecters. That takes more time.. So the timing is now close to being retarded. Buy the tools and keep them. I was renting meters but they came back broken. I bought broken ones and I broke some. Sadly I have 10 or 11 meters that don't work. I sent two out for repairs.. Nothing was wrong and I tested them on my rig.. They did not work for me... I'm not a smart man but I have feeling too. I understand I'm not getting the probe message from the magnetic probe on the dampner. I have some work to do to find out why there is no message from there. Believe me I have cleaned everything many times. One would thing is was a ****** thing going on. I have pulled the mag probe way out and pushed in in really deep too.. Nothing changes. I'm just not believeing the repair guy. He is the only guy in the country doing these.. I will bring back the timing meter rental program. I feel we need it. Mel in Pa at Conestoga Diesel will time these rigs too. He does it for free at every rally too but you pay for it at his shop. Many half ass shops time these engines by ear and charge for it. If you want me to time yours by ear please sent some money and I'll tell you its fine or tell you its what you want... Those guys are crooks taking your money and doing nothing for you..

gatorman21218

Reaction score
The ferret adapter is the way to go. Its fairly expensive but it could not be easier to use and like mentioned its always good to have. plus if you know anybody with a 7.3 international you can always get some drinking money from them.

Dont let the lack of timing equipment stop you from installing the pump. by listening to Utube videos you should be able to get it within 3-5 degrees which is good enough to get it running. Yes you will leave alot on the table but its worth doing

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn - I don't plan on doing much to the truck after I get the IP installed, I've got a mostly complete turbo setup and a busted ZF5 to weld up and install, but the truth of the matter is I'll be ordering an Ecoboost truck and this will put this on the back burner as a backup/spare rig.

I'll be on the lookout to borrow/rent with full deposit made if need be -

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ferret adapter is the way to go. You buy it, and it will pay for itself in one use. I went to a well known diesel shop and the guy said that the owner was really good at timing "Old IDI's" by ear. That is when I started saving and researching the ferret adapter. I'm sure I would have paid as much to get it timed "by ear" as I did buying the adapter. You a good timing light to make it work right.

Archie

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, bringing this back up - could I do any damage by tossing in the new IP and injectors and tuning it by ear? There ought to be some trick to get it close enough- like timing a Ford V8 by advancing it until it pings and the backing it down until it starts easily...

Can someone point me to the correct ferret adapter if I decide to toss money at it?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me to the correct ferret adapter if I decide to toss money at it?

This is the meter: http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=FERV765-01

This is how you do it: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?42782-Timing-a-7-3-with-a-Ferret-adapter

Any timing light with advance is useable. I have timed a few, for me and others. I have been told it is recommended every 10,000 miles. Not hard, just pick up the tools and follow the article. You then can be the one helping others.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well, bringing this back up - could I do any damage by tossing in the new IP and injectors and tuning it by ear? There ought to be some trick to get it close enough- like timing a Ford V8 by advancing it until it pings and the backing it down until it starts easily...

I think if you listen to some youtube videos you can get it close enough. I had mine maxed out advanced (as in I would have to remove the thermostat housing to get any more) and it was 20 degrees. I lost 1 glowplug tip and the rest are burned out. So thats 80 bucks out the window. but if you can get it close I see no problem with it. Just know that you arent getting all that you can out of it.