have a few questions on my conversion.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I was trying to put my power steering pump on yesterday and it looks like a big mess. I was wondering if there where any trucks with out ac and just a plain simple pump bracket? I need it less clustered so my hydroboost lines are easy to route. Also need to know what I need to make my c6 shift with the vacuum pump? Is there a way to make it shift without vacuum so I dont have to have the pump on engine as I dont need it for brakes?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
For the vacuum, I went with an electric pump off a powerstroke for my heater controls (already have hydro with the Chevy).

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
are you using the v belt setup?

Just run a 3g alternator if you are, one charge lead to battery (don't forget to fuse it or add a breaker) and all you need is a single 12v key on power source.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its a vbelt alternator. The one I have is a stock one that came on the engine. These are some huge alternators.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
use a alternator from a 92 93ish ford 4.9 straight 6. you will need to swap the serpentine pulley to the v belt unit and you might have to add a washer under the v belt pulley to correct alignment but you will have a 130 amp alternator that is "1 wire"

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
heres a picture of my 3g alternator

You must be registered for see images attach

one 12v key on power and she charges.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a vacum assembly needed to make your trany shift correctly I saw some info on how it works on another thread, try a search for info on it

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
if you are at a junk yard snag the voltage regulator plug off a ford 3g alternator, just about any ford 92+ is gonna have it.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked for a seismographic company back in the early 80's and we added Leese-Neville alternators to chebby cab chassis to run our equipment. The was a company out of Arlington Texas that made a really slick little solid state regulator for them. All it took was the 12 volt wires from reg to alt and key on 12 and ground. Just a thought.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the one reason why i like my 3g swap is because first its a direct bolt in. I can swap it out in the parts store parking lot if i have a bad one and just about any parts store should carry a alternator for a Ford 4.9.

There are only 2 wires going to my alternator. 1 is the large charge lead you see in the back of my picture which goes to the battery and a single 12v key on power source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle