have a few questions after turbo install

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my truck goin and have driven it all week. I turned fuel up 3 flats and I noticed a difference but I really gota stand on it to get it to spool up. My pyro says 200 driven around and gettin on it I touched 500 once. Btw its a nongated sidewinder turbo. I can hit 10+ psi but I back out so I don't lift a head. Is this normal characteristics or is the fuel still too low??

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Turn the fuel up more, make sure your timing is right first though. Get the EGT's up and the turbo will spool faster. (hot air produces more CFM than cold air).

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing start it up first thing in the morning cold. get underneath there and put your hand around every connection and you will find your exhaust leaks. anything you cant seal with a snug go to autozone or oreilly in the exhaust section you will find a small bottle that will cost around 9 bucks a piece and it is very small it is good to 2400degrees I used it on my.friends truck the one im sellin the broken 088 kit for and we used 2 bottles, stirred it up real good and goobered it on you have to wait 4 hours then heat it up for 10-15 mins at a time for 3 or 4 times and go ahead and run her wild. this works great on slip fits also.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probe is in the pedastol before Turbo. How much more should I turn up the fuel? What's the typical amount that one would turn it up goin from NA to turbo?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Just trial and error.. If timing is correct, turn it up a flat and see what happens with egt's and turbo spool, if it gets better but you can sacrifice more EGT's, get them up more, EGT's are your friend when trying to spool a turbo, just be sure to stay below 1100*.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I got my truck goin and have driven it all week. I turned fuel up 3 flats and I noticed a difference but I really gota stand on it to get it to spool up. My pyro says 200 driven around and gettin on it I touched 500 once. Btw its a nongated sidewinder turbo. I can hit 10+ psi but I back out so I don't lift a head. Is this normal characteristics or is the fuel still too low??

If you are making 10psi with that turbo, your pyro is not accurate. From what I have seen with that turbo, I would bet your egt is more in the 900-1000 range wot

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
What Black Dawg said! ^^^^

Something ain't adding up here...cookoo

My truck never ran under 500-600 F on flat ground 2 psi. 10 psi was always at least 800-1000 F.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you change the length of the pyro cable? they are set so the cable be so many inches any more or any less and it will change

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed 1ft of cable to Pyro is there any way to reattach or do i need to buy a new one?? Do I have to remove probe also? Where would one buy one at??

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Aha, caught ya.. The cable is a specific length, cant splice it, cut it, anything, look for another sending unit.

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your pyro uses a type k thermo couple the length of wire does not matter, the wires going to the thermo couple must have sheathing all the way up to the gauge and the connectors at the end must be a perfect connection. the best way is to solder the ends on so it doesnt change the resistance. if you still have the installation paper that came with the gauge it should tell you what type of thermo couple your gauge is using.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No paperwork for it. Its an old banks guage 2 wire setup

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had an older non-gated Banks on my truck since '87. Yep, 3-4 flats would definitely bring it up the EGTs to 1000 without too much trouble and 10 PSI boost is about normal. Mine also has a two wire gauge and once in a while I have to clean & tighten the connections.