Harmonic Balancer

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Buddy's truck - 97 Bowtie 6.5

He said that he was under hood doing some PM's and noticed that he could move the serp belt back and forth a little - he then noticed that the pulley is slipping on the harmonic balancer but he said that once he got under there it appears like it's supposed to do this. He was describing it to me over the phone (I'm in Indiana - he is in Flordia), he said it looks like it's got slots to do this - I asked the dumb questions like are you sure the bolts that hold the pulley on are tight - he said yes then added this thing looks like a clutch assembly... I proceeded to ask him what he was smoking...

What's going on under there - I've only seen the under hood of a Chevy on a couple of occasions and both times were pretty quick.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The rubber in the serp. pulley is probably shot. I'd recommend replacing it along with the harmonic balancer. The balancer/pulley is probably the #1 killer of the engines. Usually when they fail not to long after the crank breaks near the #2 main bearing. gmpartsdirect.com will most likely have the best price on both peices. I can find some part #'s if you'd like.
Justin

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Holy snickles - he's gonna love the phone call tonight...

If ya got the part numbers handy that would be a big help.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Holy snickles - he's gonna love the phone call tonight...

If ya got the part numbers handy that would be a big help.
check out this little monster :eek: ......

Attachments

• 6.5serpbeltpulleydampner.jpg
    6.5serpbeltpulleydampner.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 20

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
So is it in good shape and your willing part with it????
this is one off an engine job I am doing. just wanted to show how wierd looking it is cookoo in the centre section there is a rubber sandwich core and another rubber sandwich on the outer. when the rubber is healthy, there is very little harmonic issues on the serp belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin