Hard Starts

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Now that we are having mini blizzards here now and the temp is 30's-40's my truck will take around 30-40 sec of cranking (in 10 sec bursts) or a tiny shot of ether to get it to even fire :dunno. I put new return lines on last night and it didn't help anything, GP's are in good shape and I usually hold them for 12 sec when it hasn't been drove for a while.

If I drive it for 15-20 min and park it for 6 or so hours it won't restart with out a itty bitty shot of ether :puke: or about 40 sec of cranking cookoo

It has huge plumes of white smoke while it's cranking and a slight haze of blue when it first starts. Once it starts it will run rough for about 20 sec or so and then smooth right out. I don't know if I bled the fuel system good or not so any advice on how to bleed the injectros and fuel filter head would be nice.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
How old is the fuel system? Have you taken off the filter and seen how much fuel is in there before you start it?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
IP and injectors have 5000 miles on them, lift pump I think is still stock. (154k)

No, I haven't taken the filter off yet

How do I check the cold timing advance?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this just started when the temps began to drop, I'd be more suspect of the glow plugs. How does it act when the block heater is used? If it starts right up and acts like it did before when the block is warm, it supports the glow plugs as being at fault.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read my tech article "thoughts on hard starts and air" but primarily check your glow plugs. White smoke means you have fuel, so I don't think you have an air intrusion problem. The rough idle is due to selected cylinders not firing until it has run long enough to have compression heat. There is no such thing as bleeding injectors or injector lines once the engine has started one time after such parts being disturbed.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Yea, had about an inch in 2 hrs sunday morning cookoo

Mel, I already read your article a few times, good stuff, good stuff;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Replaced my 4 month old Bosch plugs last night with 8 more of the Uhaul specials and it starts like a dream now. ;Sweet

Around 45* this morning, held them on for 7 sec and it fired off on the first revolution ;Really

Also Mel, remember how I had a slightly rough idle at the Rally?
I found the cause on Saturday when I did the return lines. The front injector on the passenger side was only seated finger tight :eek:. Tightened it up and she idle as smooth as ever now :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online