Hard starting when cold

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Mine is hard to Start when cold also...but I donn't think it's the Batteries..cause it continuosly turns over with out a problem...I think I would look into the Glow Plug Relay or even the Glow Plugs...

Mine after a while when it does start ..It smokes like a coal burning Stove...for a few seconds then clears up

NemoRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still having problems with mine as well. All I know is that it is in the GP system somewhere. It smokes like a train when cold.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
If you guys REALLY need to spray a whiff to get one-regardless of make-- started, use some WD-40.
Doesn't flash dry and wash down the cyl rings/walls and ALLWAYS spray short bursts into a SPINNING eng.

Starting fluid of any kind WILL LOCK UP:eek: a engine right now!

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc
If you guys REALLY need to spray a whiff to get one-regardless of make-- started, use some WD-40.

geonc:

That's what our ambulance mechanics always told us and they would go on to say that we better not make it a habit. :) It definately worked like a charm too on the ambulances but I've never used it on my truck. I have an appointment at the dealership for this Wednesday to have the problem checked. I'll see if my mechanic would mind posting his results here.

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Problem fixed; Glow Plug Relay was replaced today under warranty.

Incidentally, my drivers side battery tested 470CCA and the passenger side was within specs. I'm now looking for specific battery to go with. Motorcrafts are $130 each.......and not highly recommended.

Ggg

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Motorcraft, Interstate, Optima. Optima are very pricey, and the no spill /gel thing does not help us at all. I use them in my Jeeps. I get Interstate batteries at jobber price and use them a lot, with no problems. Replace both batteries at the same time.

probear

AKA pooh :)
Reaction score
I went to Deka and have been very happy with them. IMO, unless Interstate has improved their quality control, they are way over priced. Optima are also overpriced, as is Motorcraft.
I would look for a battery with mega cranking amps, and just figure on replacing them every two or three years. That will give you a better and more realistic idea of the life span and overall cost. This is especially true in colder climates, where the batteries take a real beating. It's better to get the mindset of replacing than to try to stretch out the service life as other parts that suffer when a battery is not up to par, can have a severely shortened service life, like starters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70