hard breaks in reverse?

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard brakes in reverse?

Its like my brake booster is dead, but im not sure if its the vacuum pump or not.

It used to only happen right after i started it and went into reverse. But today it happened to me leaving a gas station. Pedal was hard like it had no vacuum boost.

anyway to test it to be sure its not the booster, the master cylinder (doubt it) or the vacuum pump.

Id just replace the pump but its kinda pricey so any test procedures on this would be great...

Thanks,
anthony

Last edited:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
a vacuum gauge would help diagnose

though if it is only in reverse... it almost makes me think it is something hardware or... hmph. better diagnosed in person.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried to edit my spelling mistake in the the thread title and forum said no....:mad: (its brakes not breaks..)

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a vacuum gauge would help diagnose

though if it is only in reverse... it almost makes me think it is something hardware or... hmph. better diagnosed in person.

I figured vacuum pump in reverse because, i dont even haft to hit the gas in reverse so i figured its older and the engine wasnt spinning fast enough to build vacuum to work right.

It was only when i first started it in reverse. like i started it and through it instead of letting it idle...i know i know..but somtimes you gotta go...

Ill just replace the vacuum lines this weekend and see if it makes it better. i probably have a leak around that damn sensor somewhere, the damn light came on today trying to wiggle a gooseneck horse trailer around some gates in a weird spot.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure, I had super stiff brakes like the pedal wouldnt move one night. same night i tightened my alt good to see if i could get the idle slop out of the belt... might be vac pump, i'd like to know too. hasnt done it since but the brakes felt a little less grippy and mushy today:eek: maybe its the booster. IDK

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck adjusts the brakes in reverse. When I had a dying master cylinder and had hardly any brakes, one good brake in reverse would basically transfer all my braking power to the rear brakes. So after a firm reverse stop the rest of the day any hard braking would result in locked rear wheels.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea if i haft to panic stop it locks the rear wheels, might have slop in the belt ill haft to check that.

The pedal is hard like i lose power braking in reverse. but it seems if i let it idle its fine. and i guesss now its doing it forward, i just like to kinda get it knocked out, cause i gotta tow a 70s chevelle laguna next week..and i really hate to plow into the car infront of me cause the brakes decided to quit and totalling my buddys car.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent got to check if the brake drum is wet yet but.

I have noticed if youhaft o pump the brakes it gets hard and becomes are to stop.

Like youhit the brakes to slow down and you caost a bit and then hit them agian to come to a complete stop they will usually be hard that second time you hit the pedal.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn i was gonna finish my sound system this week to...vacuum pump is going to soak it all up..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc

Members online