Hard Brake, Low Vacuum

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About four years ago, I replaced the vacuum pump and don't remember if it was new or reman, or what brand. I now have only about 10 inches of vacuum and hard brake pedal. Do any of you have a recommendation as to what brand pump is most reliable? I see that the prices range from about $80 to over $200. Thanks in advance for any help.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if it matters much which brand you get, but before you install ANY "new" vacuum pump, always check the oil amount in them. They're quite notorious for being low, if they even have anything in them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Next question, what kind of oil, how much and where do you check the level?
on back of bell shaped kinda looking thing you will see a 10mm headed bolt IIRC pop that off and top up with STP oil treatment is what I've read and done. harder n all get out to do...cause thick sticky and don't go through small hole well...

JM2CW

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Dorman vacuum pump and so far so good. It is supposed to be brand new, and it is cheaper than the reman pumps. I don't see why it wouldn't last, it can't be worse than anything else. At the price, I could go through almost 3 at the cost of one Motorcraft pump.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put a pump of grease then topped off with gear oil in the past with no ill effects.

It's just a cam lobe that a pin rides on to run the diaphragm