harbor freight gauges-amp, temp, oil pres. $17

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Just remember, you get what you pay for. I would not expect longevity or accuracy.

I agree completely, I have some Eqqus gauges in my chevelle and they work alright but no quite as well as the Autometers I have in the truck, the Eqqus gauges have they're high points and low points but in the matter of accuracy and longevity the water temp gauge needle sticks and sometimes won't register anything till the motor is way too warm for comfort, keep in mind these aren't $17 but then again they aren't as expensive as the autometers I have and they still have problems. Sorry for the long winded reply but in the case of monitoring your engines vitals I'd rather spend more to get reliable accurate gauges.

Hope this helps

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
they are better than nothing?

i wouldent do the amp meter either, you will have to break a large connection in your charging system. that means running expensive heavy gage cable to and from the gage. even then i am not sure the gage would be rated for the amperage the alt can put out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor Frieght should change their name to "China Freight". They are the wallmart of tools. I won't buy anything from them at all.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
they're probably at least as good as sunpros...

I have a few sunpro gauges - voltmeter and oil pressure - they seem to work just fine. all this crap is made in china, even some autometer products are I think...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The harbor freight gauges are absolute crap. They are not better than nothing. I have never seen a set work out of the box. I have a buddy that LOVES HF, he is an idiot, and yes he is a buddy, when it comes to tools and gauges it is always"good enough" .He wanted to put a set in a Dodge diesel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a full set of Autometer, boost, Egt, Trans. and engine oil and they all had the little tags, Made in Tiawan. Just bought an Engine oil temp. electronic gauge from HF for $16. Gonna try it on my PSD. Thought, what the Hell can't hurt anything, kinda figure that temp should be around ~240* in the pan.

isotel

Reaction score
yea i was thinking about getting the HF one for a Trans Temp.. Even if its not that accurate, Cold, Vs Hot, Vs Too fn Hot is all i need!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I look at gauges like this. WHY do you want them in the first place? To gain information about what going on. Using cheep gauges, is like asking a middle school kid about ***. Sure you'll get some information, but it's the lack of GOOD information that can get you in trouble.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I picked up a sunpro temp gauge at the auto part store for 20$. Sure its not top notch but Iv got a set in my mud truck and they work good so if your looking for something cheap thats what I would go with over harbor freight.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I need to pickup 6 autometer gauges, a pillar triple and an underdash pod. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good vendor to do this with - hopefully that won't **** me...

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I need to pickup 6 autometer gauges, a pillar triple and an underdash pod. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good vendor to do this with - hopefully that won't **** me...
summitracing.com has been good to me iv got gagues from them before and for the cheapest I could find. I dont think they sell the pillars for our trucks though. I did find this website that has them cheap though http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Ford-F-Series-gauge-pods.aspx I havnt delt with them yet.

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
Like another person said u get what you pay for i have the oil pressure and water temp installed the temp gauge is pretty much dead on. as for the oil press im not to happy with it at idle it shows on mine like 3 to 4 psi and at 3100 rpm at 105 mph its only reading 40 psi. i installed the tubing for the press gauge in the oil block for my turbo where the factory pickup is also. like was said before u get what u pay for