harbor freight compression tester

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many on here have already posted, the Harbor Freight diesel compression tester has a glowplug attachment for our engines that will not screw in the glowplug hole.
The problem is that it is too fat at the end to fit far enough into the head for the threads to catch.
You can fix this by unscrewing the schrader valve from the end of the adapter and cutting about 3/16 of an inch of length off of the adapter. Be sure to leave enough internal threads to reinsert the schrader valve and the thing works like a charm.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is good to know as I have one of these I bought a few years ago and have never taken it out of the box.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are a couple of pics of my modified glow plug adapter. The piece I cut off is laying on the bench as well.

Attachments

• DSCN5851.JPG
    DSCN5851.JPG
    665.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN5852.JPG
    DSCN5852.JPG
    715 KB · Views: 65

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It Looks like they have changed vendors for the 14 piece kit. Their 12 piece is US General and still has the too fat adapter.
My kit is a couple of years old and always worked great on mercedes. Last weekend was my first attempt on an International.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
This is good to know, I wonder if there is enough room to rethread the inside if you cut too much off.

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
LOL.. I will be purchacing one too, so after im done with the HG's .. i will do this before filling it up with coolant .. Check to see that its all sealed up ..LOL