Had pump changed truck still junk.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Where is your probe? You don't want to pass 1100* in the manifold. (that's why timing it first is importiant, because retarded timing causes elevated EGT's, and faster boost on less fuel. But also ALOT less power for all that)
So if your probe is there, that's your mark, if it's after the turbo, I think it's 900* or so. But I could be wrong on that.

Sounds like you have room for at least two flats worth. Don't force it, you can shear the head off of the screw inside the pump. Oldbull8 has a particularly icky picture of that he likes to post in "I'm going to max out my fuel" threads.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the old pump up two flats. The pyro is up by the turbo foot. I usually stick to 900*. The old pump up to flats would get to 900 if you laid into all the gears or towing hard.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
This may be just be my opinion but when .using pyro to tune fuel (how far up/down to turn the pump) Id hook the heaviest load you every plan to haul to it then go find a nice big hill and base your egts off that

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to look at my posts on bwd ip, i had to go through 4 pumps before i got a good one !

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, had the pump changed to a reman by a mechanic. (First two BWD pumps were bad out of the box he said?) Truck doesn't smoke but shakes terrible at idle. Puffs a couple times during first cold start (white smoke). Has much less power than it did before the pump change. Anyone have any ideas? I'm questioning the quality of the mechanic. I usually do all my own work but, with how busy I've been I just needed the truck done.

Thanks.
how old are the injectors?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I dont rebuild pumps, or injectors, but I can say this.....

Unless my truck dies, I am not about to replace a pump or injectors untill I can replace them all at the same time.

Worn out pump and new injectors = poor performance/mileage

New pump and worn injectors = poor performance/mileage.

Your results may vary, but in my opinion, pumps and injectors are a matched set.

Yes, if the pump gives up the ghost, I have one to install to keep the truck going,( its used, but was rebuilt, so maybe it will be close to the used pump in my truck now) but I will expect some issues to come to light.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well proud to report after 7-8 hrs of tinkering I got it running like a champ again. Found the major boost leak. Had a pretty decent air intrusion and had to reset the timing. After that I turned the pump back up 2 flats. She runs harder now than ever! Thanks for the opinions support and help! When money is available I'll replace the injectors as well.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
We're glad to see you got it running. You'll be much happier now than if you swapped out the engine for a 460.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to go Cowboy. You remembered what I said "Patience and Persistance will get you there".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online