GV carnage. very ugly pics.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GV got killed in grand fashion this weekend. The leadup to it's destruction is still being debated, but the facts speak for itself. the mainshaft was twisted in two due to torque reversion. Good thing was the Sulaco was not towing anything at the time it happened. yes, the guy in the pic was the operator at the time. we'll see what happens to that smile when he gets the bill for the replacement GV.
see pics.

Attachments

• gv carnage1.JPG
    gv carnage1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 216
  • gv carnage2.JPG
    gv carnage2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 197
  • gv carnage3.JPG
    gv carnage3.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 204

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in the world happend? Anything can fail, but as far as I can remember this is the first time I've seen a Gear Vendor buy the farm in such a dramatic fasion. Surprised it happend without a load involed.

Please let us know what you find out.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it could have been an old battle wound that was fatigued enough it finally gave up the ghost. not all failures happen when a vehicle is fully loaded, some wait lurking and can blow at any time.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should contact gv and see how much they will pay to delete this thread :D I don't think you are running 2000hp

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
that will teach you to not jack the truck up by the gear vendor... even if it means you can rotate all 4 tires at once! :) HAHAH

...oh wait i see the power wire is disconnected ;)

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like some kind of wild drive shaft unbalance to break it like that. Perhaps a bent drive shaft? Or a loose rear end? The only time I've seen the rear of a transmission break like that was when the spring perches broke off and the diff rotated under load.

Let us know what you find.. inquiring minds want to know.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Holy crap!!!!
a couple tubes of JB weld should stick it back together.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could have been an old battle wound that was fatigued enough it finally gave up the ghost. not all failures happen when a vehicle is fully loaded, some wait lurking and can blow at any time.

that's my guess.usually how it happens it seems.not necessarily the drivers fault,but just age and ware until then eventually just fail.
the odds are,the GV unit broke on the driver,not the driver broke the GV.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Unless, of course, the driver was trying to shift into a higher gear (or even neutral for a sonic blast) and got reverse instead. 6500 lbs of truck going the opposite direction of the transmission will do amazing things.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Downshift from 5th to 4th but hit reverse... I don't think you could get the shifter into reverse easy at any road speed without grinding.
Unless, of course, the driver was trying to shift into a higher gear (or even neutral for a sonic blast) and got reverse instead. 6500 lbs of truck going the opposite direction of the transmission will do amazing things.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I was presuming it was automatic. I've seen whole transmissions puked out from a drive-to-reverse shift under hard acceleration.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe this truck is a dually and it has a ZF5 speed trans in it. I can't really see all the broken shaft but I know Calvin has seen it. Maybe sending that shaft back to GV will help them to find out what happened. Might be a mictscopic crack that developed and a sudden torque from shifting hard broke it. then all hell let loose causing the case damage. Have never seen this kind of damage but have been told of it by the original poster... Sad ending to a great aux trans. Clearly something happened to cause this kind of damage... We have not heard the last of this I'm sure... With all my hp and torque I would have thought I would be the member sharing these kinds of pics long before Calvin did...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was presuming it was automatic. I've seen whole transmissions puked out from a drive-to-reverse shift under hard acceleration.
Having driven this truck (thankfully, I'm not the operator who killed the GV), I can say with certainty that it's a ZF5...and, IIRC there's a gate in the shifter assembly that makes it impossible to pull the shift lever down from 5th into Reverse (although I suppose that could have failed if you pulled hard enough :shocked: )...the gate makes it so that you (theoretically) can only shift into Reverse from Neutral.

In any event...HOLY MARY :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I had seen a couple of pics of the cracked case, but didn't realize there was so much carnage inside...that's downright scary :shocked: Was he on the highway when it let go, or was he in town at lower speeds? At least nobody got hurt...