guages

dirtbikemike

Reaction score
Is there any need for guages on a stock 6.0 with a 6-speed manual? I only tow a small trailer but run it hard through the Colorado passes.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
I don't know that you need gauges, but I like to know as much as possible about what's going on under the hood, so my preference is to have gauges.

jvencius

Reaction score
Originally posted by dirtbikemike
Is there any need for guages on a stock 6.0 with a 6-speed manual? I only tow a small trailer but run it hard through the Colorado passes.

On my almost completely stock 7.3, I hit 1300 degrees F running through the mountains over in MT, so I can't see why it would hurt to have gauges on a stock 6.0

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, especially if you are worried about glow plugs and relays from the 7.3 days (I installed volt gauges in both my 7.3's because of this).

If you aren't running a module (in other words stock) run the p!ss out of the 6.0! I ragged mine out and loved it even modded!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guages are always a good idea, especially if down the road you have any inkling that you might do some performance mods. The rule of thumb is always....... guages first.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
I found that on my 04 6.0 my engine overheated, and the exhaust wasn't high...but I've ran the exhaust way high and the engine temp needle never moved.

I'd put in some gauges...

Puddle Pirate

Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
Gauges can't hurt. Towing my 12,450 lb trailer over the mountains, it provides peace of mind to know what is going on up front. I did increase my CAT back to 4" and that did lower my temps some.

I do not run a module or chip. Don't need to. Still plenty of power to spare, even up the Grapevine in Southern California and the Cascade mountains.

Gordon.

Kyle Graham

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guages are a good investment. Monitoring egt's and boost are like running diagnostics 24-7. High egts for a sustained amount of time can melt pistons and crack cylinder heads.