growling noise with new clutch

thunder

Reaction score
Relatively new member with a first time question. I have a 93 F350 with a bale bed on it that has approx 280,000 mi. Just had a flywheel and clutch kit put in and now the truck makes a growling noise when idling along in most any gear. If you put power to the tranny the noise stops. Going down the road no noise. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? The new flywheel is solid instead of having the springs like the old one did. This is the first clutch repair to the truck.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i think what your hearing is gear rollover,i think it's common after the swap to a solid flywheel.
some one will chime in with possible cures/fixes

thunder

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Now what is gear rollover? I have been told that I am not afraid to show my ignorance and I try to prove it daily! :D Any one with any possible solutions? I have already gone to a synthetic 5w30 motor oil rather than the auto tranny fluid.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Yep...it's normal with solid fly. I hate it! Found out my dmf is within specs so I might put it back in when I have the tranny off again. You can so a search for "gear rollover". Here is a thread I had recently about it. My next step is to try straight 30w motor oil instead of ATF. If you change your driving style a bit you can reduce the noise. The DMF will only growl at 200-300 rpm by design...which should be never. With the solid fly it growls up to 1500 on mine. :backoff

BTW: The noise occurs because of torque spikes from the diesel ignition transfering to the tranny. It's basically rattling things. Some say the noise it ok...the ZF guide says the "lugging rattle" with shorten the life of the tranny.

Last edited:

thunder

Reaction score
Well seeing as how I have almost 280,000 on the tranny already shortening the life isn't a big deal.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with the streight 30wt. with a 2 gallon fill. The trick is stuffing the last 2 quarts in, since it only holds 6.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance