Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks

Keep in touch

Please,

LCjeff

Pertaining to.......?

Pertaining to the Vaseline, never herd of that before

Good vid's LCjeff, Really notice a difference on the truck turning over! Roughly how long did it take you to do the complete job? ;Sweet

Thanks, had some trouble with the wires attaching to the starter, my hands are too big.
6 hours including dealing with the camera. (and keeping it clean)
Took more time to edit the vid.
Next time should be closer to 4 hours

Great vid really good vid.

Thanks again, hope this helps the collective. (you will be assimilated)

LCjeff

I'll go public soon as long as we feel it's worthy:sly

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pertaining to the Vaseline, never herd of that before

In my own experiences (and many in the maritime trades ), Vaseline is the best thing one can do for non-soldered electrical connections, especially crimped connections.

I pack the copper-lug full of Vaseline and saturate the stripped cable/wire strands with it, then poke the cable into the lug and crimp.

I will put a Vaseline-saturated crimped cable-end way ahead of a soldered end for longevity, conductivity, and durability. ;Sweet

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
OK, that's a new one on me

On second thought and advice of others more educated, no to the Vaseline for now, something about the amount of heat involved in our situation (600+amps) kinda boils it. Though I will try that trick on some connections on my boats.

LCjeff

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good information, Jeff.

Can't beat the way your truck spins up with group 31s under the hood, can ya? ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Do you know what the stock cable sizes are?

2/0, that would be two aught?(sp)LCjeff

I might have to disagree here.

When my starter cable burned the end off it, I went and bought a 2/0 ring terminal for it, and it wouldn't fit...it was too small.

So I cut 8" off it my cable where the corrosion had got to it, and took it as a sample.

I have factory cables IIRC and they are 3/0 cables.....pretty damn overkill for a pickup truck.

I think that 2/0 would do just fine for out applications, I am pretty sure BigRigTech has 2/0 on his truck as well.

If I ever had to redo my cables, I would go with the 3/0, but that's just me wanting to be overkill as usual lol.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On second thought and advice of others more educated, no to the Vaseline for now, something about the amount of heat involved in our situation (600+amps) kinda boils it. Though I will try that trick on some connections on my boats.

LCjeff

If your cable is getting that hot, then something is badly amiss.

You should be able to lay a hand on the cable during starting and barely feel any change in temperature.

Like I already stated, on the many battery-cables around my stuff, the Vaseline stays right where I put it and the copper strands stay shiny as new. :)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if all of the wires are clean in the spool at the ends where they are crimped together, it doesnt matter if the wire is corroded inside the insulation. think of it as 'extra' insulation :rotflmaoLOL

I cleaned and reused the factory cable by painstakingly fraying, cleaning , and then respinning the wires. Works good though ;Sweet

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys run the CAT batteries? Mine are on their way out right now. I have some Exide 750CCA now. The cat battteries are a maintainence free and are 1000CCA and have a great warranty to boot. I believe at my dealership its like a five year warranty. But they are about 100 bucks per battery. I think that i'll be running welding cable for my leads if i need to ever repair them. My brother works for a weld shop and he says it makes some of the best jumper cable wire;Sweet

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I run 2 carquest 65-70s they are like 110$ each and rated at 1020cca at 0 degrees. I also have 60 watt pad heaters under both of them that i just plug in with the block heater. Also have the same heater wrapped around the fuel filter that helps TONS on cold starts. Also have an interior 900watt heater that i got from carquest so yeah its about 6 plugins, but only use the blockheater and battery heaters. U can plug it in and just watch ur meter spin.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I run 2 carquest 65-70s they are like 110$ each and rated at 1020cca at 0 degrees. I also have 60 watt pad heaters under both of them that i just plug in with the block heater. Also have the same heater wrapped around the fuel filter that helps TONS on cold starts. Also have an interior 900watt heater that i got from carquest so yeah its about 6 plugins, but only use the blockheater and battery heaters. U can plug it in and just watch ur meter spin.

so true LOL

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, keep em coming

Good information, Jeff.

Can't beat the way your truck spins up with group 31s under the hood, can ya? ;Sweet

Thank you very much, She starts much quicker.;Sweet

I might have to disagree here.

When my starter cable burned the end off it, I went and bought a 2/0 ring terminal for it, and it wouldn't fit...it was too small.

So I cut 8" off it my cable where the corrosion had got to it, and took it as a sample.

I have factory cables IIRC and they are 3/0 cables.....pretty damn overkill for a pickup truck.

I think that 2/0 would do just fine for our applications, I am pretty sure BigRigTech has 2/0 on his truck as well.

If I ever had to redo my cables, I would go with the 3/0, but that's just me wanting to be overkill as usual lol.

I used the 2/0 cause I read lots here on the topic before making my up my mind. Lucky for me, that was all the welding shop had at the time.cookoo

If your cable is getting that hot, then something is badly amiss.

You should be able to lay a hand on the cable during starting and barely feel any change in temperature.

Like I already stated, on the many battery-cables around my stuff, the Vaseline stays right where I put it and the copper strands stay shiny as new. :)

Still cant wrap my mind around the Vaseline treatment, so Ill try it soon and let you know. "copper strands stay shiny as new" I like the sound of that!;Sweet

Considering the amount of amperage (600 or so) I opted for new soldered cables.
The old cables were pretty bad.

if all of the wires are clean in the spool at the ends where they are crimped together, it doesnt matter if the wire is corroded inside the insulation. think of it as 'extra' insulation :rotflmaoLOL

I cleaned and reused the factory cable by painstakingly fraying, cleaning , and then respinning the wires. Works good though ;Sweet

See above.

Have any of you guys run the CAT batteries? Mine are on their way out right now. I have some Exide 750CCA now. The cat battteries are a maintainence free and are 1000CCA and have a great warranty to boot. I believe at my dealership its like a five year warranty. But they are about 100 bucks per battery. I think that i'll be running welding cable for my leads if i need to ever repair them. My brother works for a weld shop and he says it makes some of the best jumper cable wire;Sweet

Nice to have friends in the right places.;Sweet

Must be really freakin COLD where you are.:eek:
It's so warm here I don't think we get winter diesel on the coast.:dunno

Very good :thumbsup:

Again, thank you very much.
Next will be the return line kit installation and maybe the injectors too.

LCjeff

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:music: "I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees..." :music:

Great videos...thank you! I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the factory wires are smaller than 2/0 across the board...note that going bigger than factory is not a bad thing :D IMHO there's no such thing as overkill with wire except when you're dealing with something that requires a specific resistance (i.e. the 7.3l glow plug controller wires :oops: ) for that matter, I helped a friend put 2/0 battery cables in his M-B about a month ago :D

I'm already set up to run stud-top batteries (currently using stud to automotive terminal adapters) and my batteries almost certainly have more years behind them than ahead of them (they've been on my truck since January 2002 :shocked: so I think I'm going to be putting Group 31's in sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Great videos. Thanks. Does anyone know the difference between group 31 batts and group 29?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online