ground wire locations?

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my 92 f250 with a 7.3. I am not getting power to ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! I wanted to check if all the ground wires are good since I'm getting power to all the fuses. Can anyone please help me and also provide pictures with the locations? I read that there is one by the mechanical fuel pump to the frame and driver side head to firewall but I cannot seem to find either of them. In advance, thanks to everyone who could help me with this problem

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The one on the head is on the very back of the head and is hard to see. The one by the lift pump is on the front of the engine block. It's where the negative cable bolts to the block. There's a matching one on the other side of the harmonic balancer.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
Do both batteries need to be hooked up to get proper ground? Or can I just do everything off of the passenger side battery?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not sure specifically what you're asking.
But for both to work, both need to be grounded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run everything off of the passengers side battery, as long as it is hooked up properly.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
On my passenger side battery the ground wire goes only to the starter but the driver side ground goes to the engine. Should there be more than one ground wire on the passenger side going to more than just the starter?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of what you have in the battery area?

Particularly in the fender mounted solenoid area.

You should have two large grounds going to either side of the engine block directly below the harmonic balancer. One has a smaller wire that goes off to the frame(passenger side) from the large lug on the engine. The other (drivers side) has a smaller wire going from the batter terminal to the fender(maybe the core support). No ground from the factory goes anywhere near the starter.

You positive wires should meet together on the passenger battery and continue down to the starter, also off the passenger positive battery terminal, there should be a 8 gauge wire that carries power over to the fender mounted solenoid. This is where all your chassis power originates. It goes to one lug on the solenoid and then out to the fuse panels from that same lug.(several wires on the same terminal).

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't need a ground going to the starter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, you do not need a ground to the starter. It is bolted to the block, which is grounded.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I won't be able to take pictures till Sunday morning, the truck is at a friends. On the driver side battery the neg. Cable goes to the block and the pos. Cable goes to the passenger side battery. From the passenger side the neg. Cable goes to the back of the solenoid on the starter, the pos. Cable also runs to the back of the starter and has a smaller wire running to the starter relay. On the other side of the starter relay it has a small wire that I assume runs to the starter for ignition to turn it on

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about a wire from the positive battery terminal passenger side, to the fender mounted solenoid right next to it?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that same terminal from the battery, are there several other wires? Those are the fuse links and other wires that go to power the chassis.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I'm getting power to everything but nothing works, that's why I wanted to check to ground wires

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have small grounds from the frame to the cab at both front cab mounts. Should be one from head to firewall in the area of the wiper motor. Should also be a smaller one around the area of the heater core to the fire wall. For the life of me I don't remember what it hooks to. I believe there was also a ground strap to the frame from the front of the engine block.

How are you checking to see that you have power at the fuses? If using a multimeter is giving you 12v to the metal dash structure as a ground you should be okay I think. I would have suggested checking the fusible links at the starter relay if you have no power because all the in cab stuff is powered from there.

The big ground cable on the pass side battery should bolt to the block. Not the starter. Not sure what you have going on there. It should bolt here.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bolted to the frame there because I relocated my batteries and they are both grounded to that frame rail. This is in place of the little ground. It was bolted to the frame in that location. I just made it a lot bigger to deal with the starter.