grey smoke not black?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I have my pump turned up but never go around blowing smoke. I was pulling a truck out of a swamp the other day, and noticed im not smoking black just grey.

So today I confirmed this. With heavy foot I get alot of smoke but it was grey not black. What would cause this, bad injectors? Its over fueled but i thought it should be black? It does idle rough so im sure my injectors arnt to hot.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this to, except for when Im pulling a heavy trailer, then its really black. But if its not working its only a greyish color. I think one of my problems is that my ip is leaking.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
werid, iv never tried it with a load because im usually pulling horses.

the engine is warm when iv tried this to so its not a cold stacking type thing.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines gotten worse lately. I let the clutch out and leave a cloud of greyish smoke. I plan on putting a spare pump on soon, just havent had time.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put new injectors in over the summer and they were from Russ. That didnt solve the problem. DieselJD timed it and that didnt help. So all thats really left is the ip timing being thrown off due to the leak.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
maybe its just because you have enough air to burn most of the fuel so it dont smoke black it just smokes grey cause it all most burns it all, you probly could turn it up some, mine has no problem rolling black

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can roal coal if i want to,but the greyish smoke is at idle. At night I can see it coming out from under the fenders when im idling.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
you might have a point there but i can put out a solid cloud pretty quick to cover a solid lane or two. so i know im getting alot of fuel. i havnt timed with a meter just by ear but it is pretty close. i think i might have a small fuel leak out my IP too i need to clean the valley pan and double check on that.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I can roal coal if i want to,but the greyish smoke is at idle. At night I can see it coming out from under the fenders when im idling.

oh ok i get a little grey smoke at idle and it really just depends it only does it once in a while, but if i am really stepping on it, its mainly grey.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
yeah thats what i was thinking, but i get the psd rattle at cold idle then when warm a little under that so i think its pretty close, i need to break down and buy a meter though. and probably some injectors. i think my injectors might be all over t he place throwing the actual timming of each cyl off despite the pump is close.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump was way avanced before JD timed it. I know we had to retard it a lot to get it right. It white smoked bad when it was really advanced. It still does it know but not as bad.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
thats really weird cause i have no idea what my timing is but the more i advance it the more power i get, if i leave the timing were the factory timing mark is i can come ocer the top of the mountian at 50 if i advance it as far as i can turn it then i can almost come over doing 70

only down fall is it will actually melt glow plug tips!