grey smoke and lift pump replacement

Nut Tree

Reaction score
I have a question for the group. First, a little back story. My truck is hard to start in the morning with grey "raw fuel" smelling smoke fogging up the yard when it does finally start up. It starts fine the rest of the day, but I still get a little bit of the fuel-smelling smoke the rest of the day and I can not get it to produce black smoke no matter how heavy the load or aggressive the throttle. I'm guessing I need to replace the return lines because I'm getting air in the lines and fuel leak back. I also talked to a local diesel shop and they said that the IP may be getting weak too. The IP looks original and the injectors do too - painted grey/old looking etc. - and three are leaking a tiny bit. I plan on buying a turbo kit very soon so I figured while I was in there, I may as well do it up. I am going to replace the IP, injectors, GP's, and return lines all at once. Now for the question (sorry for the long winded description). Should I replace the lift pump as well? I know the Carrier group deal is over, but I have a brand new Holley Blue on the shelf that I was going to put in the 67 Firebird. Will it work as far as psi/gph are concerned? Is there something I am not thinking of? Other than less power than I'd like, hard start in the mornings with the fogger effect and the light smoke the rest of the day, the truck runs just fine. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the problem right now is either glow plugs or air intrusion, the holley blue is way more pump than you need but yes it will work with a pressure regulator taking pressure down to 5 or so lbs

Nut Tree

Reaction score
Ok, cool. I haven't ohmed the plugs, but came to the same conclusion. Ill put in new plugs, injectors, and return lines and solve the problem. I guess ill buy the carrier pump and save the holley for the hot rod. Thanks for the response.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you buy all the parts your planning on replacing please tell us where you think you may buy from. Some ebay sellers are pushing "tested" injection pumps as rebuilt pumps. they are cheaper than many other well known rebuilder shops so you get what you pay for. Please understand nobody on this forum wants you to buy the more expensive parts because we known the sellers personally or just want to make you spend more cash. Without going into to detail I can say I would not buy from a ebay rebuilder in the panhandle of florida or from the great state of Tenn either. To read up on these less than stellar business shops read the Hall of shame and save yourself the cost of doing the pump and injectors twice. This forum is not about being rich or not so rich. Its about saving money and helping others understand these engines and trucks.