GP Relay Hot Supply Melted

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
My GP's quit working and I noticed that the wires supplying power to my GP relay had melted in a certain spot. I don't know if it was a hack done by the PO or if it's the remnants of a fusible link.:dunno Has anyone else had this issue with theirs? What can be done as an "upgrade" for this?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the plastic plug? Pretty common spot. I just ran around that plug. Im surrounding didn't do itptoperly and should go back and remove the butt splices but it works for know.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those yellow wires run through a plug that also contains all the wires for the top of the engine. The connector was probably melted in the past and that's how the po "FIXED" it lol.

Its a bad design dietectly from ford

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The 2 yellow wires should go from the relay/solenoid through the harness to a big plug on the passenger side fender and it usually melts right where the plug is.... Mine fried recently and I "fixed" everything the hard way :rolleyes:

Take this with a grain of salt--I'm not an expert. If i could do it again I would unhook the two yellow wires from the solenoid and tape them up really well. Next take a big (4ga-2ga with crimped on ring terminals) wire directly from the battery and attach it where the yellow wires used to be on the solenoid. This should fix the problem for good.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That's what I was thinkin about......cause like I said...the plug part of the whole thing has already been bypassed. I've notice that the serpentine style trucks used a single, heavier gauge cable instead of the two little ones...what the hell was Ford thinking????

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
This is a great time to relocate your controller. I mounted mine right behind the passenger side battery. A short piece of #4 wire off the solenoid seems much nicer.;Sweet I then ran a #4 wire and #12 wires back to the back of the engine and soldered and shrink wrapped them to the harness. You can see the wire loom going back to the original location and tying into the engine harness. As stated, I just safed off the original yellow supply wires with shrink wrap and tape.

Attachments

• gp1.jpg
    gp1.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 14
  • gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 12
  • gp3.jpg
    gp3.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 9
  • gp harness cut.jpg
    gp harness cut.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 10
  • gp relay harness.jpg
    gp relay harness.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 10

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, I would make some way to disconnect the wiring easily that goes over the valve cover to the engine. My two yellow wires melted also, but the smaller wires were ok. I crimped ring connectors to the yellow wires and then bolted them together with small bolts and nuts. I appreciated this when I went to change the valve cover gaskets, as I had to take all this wiring apart, along with the fuel filter stand, to gain clearance to get the valve cover off.

Nice when you have a mechanical project going on, that you are not side tracked messing with wiring and it just unplugs and moves out of your way. This would also be handy if the cylinder head or the whole engine needed pulling.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My two yellow wires melted the engine wireing harness one day at startup. When I gifured out what all the smoke was from I went to a car audio speaker shop. Bought some heavy speaker wire and some terminal end. No more power issues going thru a way too tiny plug and wire harness....

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great time to relocate your controller. I mounted mine right behind the passenger side battery. A short piece of #4 wire off the solenoid seems much nicer.;Sweet I then ran a #4 wire and #12 wires back to the back of the engine and soldered and shrink wrapped them to the harness. You can see the wire loom going back to the original location and tying into the engine harness. As stated, I just safed off the original yellow supply wires with shrink wrap and tape.

Nice job, looks great in its new easier to access home ;Sweet;Sweet

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was messed up big time when we got it, I went straight to the manual glowplug switch and left this wiring alone because it wasn't melted.

Kind of interesting when I look at other rigs in junkyards. Some had fine headlight switches, but this glowplug connector was melted. On mine something happened with the headlight switch and some other leads melted into others and caused all sorts of gremlins until recently I found a basic intact harness at pick and pull and I'm installing that tomorrow.

Does anybody think its worth fusing a new larger wire if using a manual push button for the glowplugs?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody think its worth fusing a new larger wire if using a manual push button for the glowplugs?

The two yellow 10 gauge wires seem to work ok other than the plug problem. We have discussed this before, and you would have to use a huge fuse to handle the glowplug system. The fusible links are compact, tough, and work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim