Governor adjustment

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that there was a governor spring adjustment on our pumps. I was reading and somebody said the screw on the back adjusts the fuel cutoff. How much can the rpm be turned up using that screw? Is it bad to mess with it? Thanks for any help.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a torque screw, it has nothing to do with the governor. The spring has to be changed to do that. Just don't mess with that screw, some are adjustable and others are not. The plastic cover is the fuel shut off shaft.

Attachments

• DVC01408.JPG
    DVC01408.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DVC01407.JPG
    DVC01407.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 67

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the torque screw on my pump, wish I did. I just have what's under that white plastic cover (mine isn't covered). I thought you had to replace the spring to change rpm, that's why I was skeptical.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
A GM 6.2 governor spring will raise the R's... I know a few members here have done it or had it done. Namely dyoung and dragrag.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I don't have the torque screw on my pump, wish I did. I just have what's under that white plastic cover (mine isn't covered). I thought you had to replace the spring to change rpm, that's why I was skeptical.

The torque screw isn't somethign that will give you power, it's just a fuel waster. Unless you are setup with compounds or a VGT turbo it's no help at all. Too much fuel down low for even a factory/aftermarket turbo to use.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ain't that what I said?

IDI hell

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get / purchase a idle spring for the metering valve?
I've got a '93 F250 7.3L IDI diesel - looked everywhere online with no success.
The engine dies when rpm's fall, my neighbor's grandson (mechanic) looked at the metering valve and we could clearly see the idle spring has lost its integrity. In OldBull8's post above (within this thread) he included images, in the second picture the text S4821 is directly over the spring I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get / purchase a idle spring for the metering valve?
I've got a '93 F250 7.3L IDI diesel - looked everywhere online with no success.
The engine dies when rpm's fall, my neighbor's grandson (mechanic) looked at the metering valve and we could clearly see the idle spring has lost its integrity. In OldBull8's post above (within this thread) he included images, in the second picture the text S4821 is directly over the spring I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wes @Thewespaul from Classic Diesel Design has recommended using a governor spring from a Detroit 6.2 injection pump. I think it’s easier to source the 6.2 springs

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he doesn't reply directly to you, you can find his site here:

www.classicdieseldesigns.com

Or another member here also who also may have it is @typ4 (Russ). His site is:

www.russrepair.com

Neither will have that part directly listed on their site but both likely have it in their supplies. Both respond quickest to a PM but being a new member I'm not sure if you have permission to do that yet. You can get your post count above 10 in the test forum and then you should be able to PM them if you can't already.
https://www.oilburners.net/forums/testing-forum.35/

IDI hell

Reaction score
Hey, thank you all so much. Been busy around the property planting and setting up a greenhouse. Finally got back to this.
Wes, YES, I would love to get the stock spring. Should I use your website link?