got the SMF done

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
my DMF had 3/4 play and the clutch slipped bad and the throw out bearing made noise.

i pulled everything apart and had tons of hot and cracked spots on my flywheel.

i installed a 12.25 valeo smf kit off ebay for i think 550. and put in a kevlar pilot bearing and new slave.

after getting it all together i had a hard time getting the slave bleed but i just re adjusted the linkage and all was good. it took me two days but i can do it faster next time.

i cant believe how much more power it feels like the truck has from not slipping anymore. i am running synthetic atf and have basically no rollover noise. unless its being lugged in a low gear. and its so much quieter without the ticking at idle and no more chattery shut downs.

everyone that is concerned with smf noise, mine is quieter then when i had the dmf and it had a sprung clutch disk with it. i think what really helps is the 12.25 clutch has a double set of springs in it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the kit I have and I love it.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SMF is a Single Mass Flywheel which is a hundred times better than the Dual mass Flywheel. Most every truck four speed has a single mass flywheel, and many vehicles still have them. DMF's get worn out after a few hundred thousand miles and have to be replaced or else they could just fall apart while under a load or something. A SMF can just be resurfaced time and time again, and you just have a better feeling overall knowing it wont explode on you. No slippage.The reason there is a DMF now is because with a diesel, they tried to eliminate any wierd noises that came along with the newer style transmissions. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
X3 on the 12.25. Thats what I put in mine and have very little rollover noise. Im putting a zf5 behind every diesel rig I buy or build (well that I can, dont think the benz would like that big a bellhousing LOL)

punk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I talked with another guy I work with that used to have a idi, and he put the 12 inch setup in his truck and said his was not very noisy. I am getting the impression now that the the lucky mod conversion I did is one of the noisiest setups you can have. He did say he had trouble getting the flywheel inspection plate back on and had to bend it a little bit so it would not hit the larger flywheel.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I havent been able to find a Valeo smf kit...

Only LuK, (not that luk is bad, but it seems like there is alot of good feedback here on the Valeo setup)

Any idea if the place you got yours has any more???

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0302778247&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i made a lower offer and they offered it to me for like 475. they did take a long time to ship it though, it took me 16 days i think to get it.

i read such good things about ft wayne clutch i called them and they had a smf kit for like 700 and with the kevlar clutch it was like 900. but i did get the kevlar pilot bearing from them for i think 40.

my throw out bearing makes some noise though, the old one did it bad and i was hoping to fix it, it has pleanty of grease and the shaft looked fine. i did not replace the clutch fork would that have anything to do with it. its like you can hear the bearing spinning or something. if you disengage the clutch it goes away.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a LUK 12" SMF and another SMF and new clutch here for a spare that I took out of a T19 on a 6.9, looks exactly the same as what is in my 91.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0302778247&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i made a lower offer and they offered it to me for like 475. they did take a long time to ship it though, it took me 16 days i think to get it.

i read such good things about ft wayne clutch i called them and they had a smf kit for like 700 and with the kevlar clutch it was like 900. but i did get the kevlar pilot bearing from them for i think 40.

my throw out bearing makes some noise though, the old one did it bad and i was hoping to fix it, it has pleanty of grease and the shaft looked fine. i did not replace the clutch fork would that have anything to do with it. its like you can hear the bearing spinning or something. if you disengage the clutch it goes away.

If you call Ft wayne, check the prices seperately on the flywheel and a rebuilt kevlar clutch kit for the thing instead of a new clutch kit. Last time I bought a rebuilt 12 1/4"kevlar clutch kit and a kevlar pilot bushing it only ran about $345 shipped, I know the flywheels aren't that expensive by themselves.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
My clutch kit is actually an luk unit, funny thing is the pressure plate says luk, the clutch says valeo and I am the one that cut the fort knox shrink film off. I am pretty sure that whether its ford, motorcraft, luk, or valeo.... its all the same.

punk