Got new issues - your .02 please.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Been having trouble with a couple things since the mods have been done.

1st - white & blue smoke when I start it in the morning. First white then light blue until it warms up. Don't recall it doing this prior to the injector install. I started it this morning cold with the oil fill cap off & get some very light puffing of smoke up thru the fill tube but not blue in color as best I can tell.

2nd- just bought a 36' 5'er & twice now when I've pulled it around the truck just quits like a CPS is bad. But it starts right back up.....usually. this last time it didn't. took some time & cranking to get it going. I was towing on my 80 HP setting which is pretty ballsy. I backed it off to 40hp & it happened again but started back up right away. switched to stock setting & it didn't shut down again but obviously pulled like chit. Talked to Bean @ bean's diesel because I'm still having idle problems with my chip & he told me about a condition he had where a cam gear would walk itself back under heavy load while sled pulling. While my camper is nowhere near that kind of weight, the sysmptoms he described sounded right on. I HOPE he's wrong about this because I can't pull a motor on my own, much less fix the problem he described. Anybody heard of a condition like this?

Anybody chim in please on either issue. Thanks in advance.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping these troubles were behind you.

The white smoke is usually timing related & blue smoke is often a lack of fuel, possibly a little air getting in the system or even a bad injector doing the same chit my old ones were doing. My truck ran like crap and whould give me a little blueish white smoke until it warmed up and that was because the poppet valves on the injectors didn't have the proper tolerances anymore.

The smoke coming from the oil fill cap is blowby.

I just yanked the 10k mod I was goofing around with today because I didn't like the little extra cranking to start it and didn't like the way the tranny was shifting when cold with it:confused: . Trying to limp this thing to 400K or so before any major repairs are needed........Knock on wood.

If I were in your shoes frustrated and as busy as you are on the road I'd get the truck over to Nick hand him the keys and say :yell: FIX THIS-cuss-cuss -cuss TRUCK

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
thoughts on the smoke is the bigger injectors, or the chip.
as for shutting off I would check fuel pressure.
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thoughts on the smoke is the bigger injectors, or the chip.
as for shutting off I would check fuel pressure.
Nick

He's Nick;Sweet

And for some reason I was thinking he was closer than 235 miles from ya now that I checked Yahoo maps.:oops: Of course I'd rather drive 500 miles to his shop than take it to a stealership and seriously considered it when I was nearly stumped on mine.:D

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The first one sounds about normal for a injectored truck... Second one could be a HPOP regulator or a check valve going bad... Sounds like your sucking the HPO down and then it dies, then it takes it a while to reprime... Just my two cents. Do you have Auto Enginuity? Or know someone with it?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I agree on bigger injectors causing the start up smoke I know mine does withteh baby swamps. Can't add to the shut down problem though.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The first one sounds about normal for a injectored truck... Second one could be a HPOP regulator or a check valve going bad... Sounds like your sucking the HPO down and then it dies, then it takes it a while to reprime... Just my two cents. Do you have Auto Enginuity? Or know someone with it?

I do have a HPOP fitting that's dribbling some & I was planning to tackle that next. What's an Auto Enginuity? Don't mean to sound stupid but some of this is just new to me. If I was sucking HPO down to low, why would it re-fire immediately most of the time? How long would it take to build back up? When it dies, it's like somebody flipped a switch, no hesitation, just running hard then quits. Hardly ever does it unloaded just loaded heavy.

Nick, Maybe I should come see you if I can't get this straightened out.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Been sitting here thinking about this problem you have been having throughout the day.

I don't think the problem is with the chip. I think you have an unresolved issue that is magnified by the chip such as a bad ICP sensor, Sticking IPR valve, CMP problem, bad IDM etc.

IIRC you didn't have this truck long before jumping in with mods and you had problems on the trip home so they may have sold you a problem truck and didn't have the decency to let you know about it, like they didn't with other items you found after you bought it, and with 148,000 miles it ain't exactly a spring chicken even though it wants to be.

I still think you may have a bad wire or plug going to the CMP sensor that is causing this intermittant problem and is gonna be a PITA to find especially if it isn't thowing any codes to point you in the right direction like my truck was doing to me.

If it was running out of oil in the HPOP resevoir it would be missing, running rough, smoking blue and would usually take a lot of cranking to get it running again just like when you originally tried to start it after installing Bean's injectors.

If when it starts back up, it's running like there was never a problem, idles smooth and has good power then I really think it's an electrical or electronic problem.

IIRC Autoenginuity is a software based scanner and diagnostics that seems to work well with these trucks from what I have read and have tons more diagnostic capabilities than the scanners you can get at the auto parts stores.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't enough about these trucks just yet to be sure, but I tend to agree with you. The only thing that has me a little worried is the Cam Gear scenario Bean told me about. The gear walking under pressure could move the cam to close or far from the senor to read which could kill it I guess. I'm hoping thats a worse case situation.

Where can I find a listing of all the abbreveations. I know CMP & IDM, then I'm lost. ICP & IPR? Oh, & I don't have a scanner so I'm really in the dark.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I have an '02 (superchip, 4inch exhaust, and k&n air) that seemed to have the same symptoms that yours is having. it ran like a top and then would just die out of the blue. i never had it under a heavy load, but it could have amplified it. i took it in and the injector control module was bad. that was about a $600 part but the extened it warranty covered it. hope that helps, good luck!

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
seen many issues, that when stock dont have a problem, but add power and bang they show up, anything from a weak fuel pump tp bad injectors, ven a bad EOT.
Nick

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I have an '02 (superchip, 4inch exhaust, and k&n air) that seemed to have the same symptoms that yours is having. it ran like a top and then would just die out of the blue. i never had it under a heavy load, but it could have amplified it. i took it in and the injector control module was bad. that was about a $600 part but the extened it warranty covered it. hope that helps, good luck!

Was your ICM throwing codes to the PCM? I've had this thing scanned numerous times & no codes.

Double S, Got new injectors, haven't looked at the fuel pump, & what's EOT?

Nevermind, figured out EOT

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7