got me some goat guts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. I bought Seth's rollover last nite. been firing it up just to listen to the motorcookoo I was planning on rebody it with a ford but there is a twist to the frame.-cussSo.....plan B hits. The Sulaco has no powertrain in it right now and it's duty after refit is to chase after my CC dually if anything catastrophic ever happens to it. Now my choice is what trans to hang off the goat's butt. 727(which it already has), C6 or ZF5(both will require the adapter)
choices choices...
speaking of which...does anybody have a pic of the adapter from Cummins motor to Ford trans?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Cal...a day late and a dollar short ------coupled with a few states seperation would have put you right in Darrin's wheelhouse...for both ideas and parts adapting LOL

I'm sure you could pick his brain :thumbsup: :angel:

Ezra

Reaction score
just wondering are you wanting to sell that front bumper? Thanks Ezra.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, it's for sale. I'm currently trying to figure out a value on the darn thing.
there's also a transfer tank that I am going to sell too.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I woul say stick a ZF5 speed behind it. IMHO the 727 isnt strong enough for the cummins, maybe it would be built, but then were are you, you have a built non overdrive trans (I think it doesnt have an overdrive). A ZF5 speed would cost about the same overall as any of the other two, and you get an overdrive, and its a manual, you select when it shifts.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: if you are going through the trouble of putting a different tranny behind it, why not consider a 6 speed manual? I've heard that the final drive isn't any better, but the first gear is lower allowing for a numerically lower rear end gear. I like a manual for simplicity, towing and general dependability, but a C6 and GV is pretty hard to beat as they have no electronics and the C6s seem to be very bullet proof with the drag racing crowd where they get pretty abused.

On a completely separate note: if there was an award for "Best Avatar", I would vote for you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as dropping in a 6speed in concerned, there's three negatives to the idea. First is cost, they're still ungodly expensive for getting an extra midrange gear. Second in the size, imho there's just too much fab work. I've seen the grief "Jaybee" went through putting his in in and I don't have the patience. Third, I am very suspicious of the long term reliability of the ZF6. I've seen too many already come through the shop with torn out midrange gears. Yes, I've said torn out. Mind you they are also hung off the butt of a motor a making ungodly amount of power too.
I won't be turning up the juice too hard with this motor, I can see doing a larger turbo, IC and the VP's version of a fuel screw. I do have a military type air cleaner assy on its way that was designed for high dust environments and I will have to figure out where to park that monster too.
Initially, for cost reasons, I'm going to check the feasibility of hanging a 1356 off the mopar trans. Eventually, when I come across a adapter plate, I will look into hanging a ZF5 off the goat butt.
On a side note....
that's one lucky kitten and one brave lady. If that kitten panics and engages traction control, she's gonng be screaming in a very bad way....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Calvin I would keep it simple and put a nv4500 behind it. The get rag is not bad but if that where the other choice then I stick with a zf. Remember even with a zf You need the C FW and a clutch for it etc, with the nv4500 all the parts are there easier cheaper. Now if You choose to go with a zf then I heard destroked makes very good swap kits for cummins to almost anything You want, then again if budget determines Your decision then get rag/nv4500 could be the best choice.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NV4500 or NV5600 would be my choice for the KISS principle and cost, those destroked adaptors are $795 and then you need a PSD 6.0 starter etc....

Cummins makes power down low unlike the IH engines. You ain't gonna be happy without overdrive with your right footLOL

On a side note....
that's one lucky kitten and one brave lady. If that kitten panics and engages traction control, she's gonng be screaming in a very bad way....

:love: ;Lick -Drool GOT MILK?

You make it especially difficulftLOL to spell or type or concentrate much less read yer post

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok....
found out a few things on why noone has stuffed a dodge D60 front under a ford. Outside of the obvious of the housings being on different sides, the spring width outside to outside is different too. 34.5" to 40" That means more work moving spring perches. The dodge spring perch is right on the pumpkin housing too. So... in the meantime, outside of the motor, the rest of the running gear is a no-go for the Sulaco-cuss-cuss-cuss-cussIt would have been a nice setup too. kingpin type D60 front, NP transfercase, 3.07 gearing. Guess I'm going to have a few things more to sell soon.
Been looking through the Destroked site. The adapter is just what I need. Unfortunately a little pricey though. Oh well...sell more parts for the slush fund;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: I can't beleive somebody hasn't snapped that up yet
tonka-
here's why.
he said third is going out. this is what happens when it does......
the trans is not a cheap proposition to rebuild either.

Attachments

• 10-03-07_0929.jpg
    10-03-07_0929.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 10-03-07_0928.jpg
    10-03-07_0928.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 F250 has a Ford D60 up front, NV5600 trans and Dodge D80 in the rear.

3.55 gears, with 315 tires on it, cruises @70 mph and gets 24 mpg

:love: :love: :love:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 97 F250 has a Ford D60 up front, NV5600 trans and Dodge D80 in the rear.

3.55 gears, with 315 tires on it, cruises @70 mph and gets 24 mpg

:love: :love: :love:
big jake(aka evil airhorn guy)
nice setup there;Sweet what did you do for a transfer case? will a bw1356 hang off the butt of the nv5600?
I have a sterling 10.25 with 3.55 LS already so that will be residing under the truck. The front will have to be re-ratio'd from 4.10.
I presume you are running the inline pump too? I have the VP on mime that likes to put out black smoke. I think Seth grinned on it already.
I'm looking foward to better MPG's with the rig but with the flatbed and the overhead racks, I'm sure it is going to take a hit. Still, it's going to be a interesting project;Sweet