got a turbo..... HG's, Studs, Or both

BiodieselLuke

Reaction score
86 6.9 with 120k. no problems currently. Before I put this turbo on I think I should address the head gaskets. Should I, in order of easiest to more involved
A) re-torque stock head bolts and call it good
B) Pull head bolts one at a time and replace with studs and torque accordingly
C) pull heads, replace head gaskets, and replace head bolts
D) head gakets and studs
:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When I do mine (hopefully in the spring) i'm going to take the heads off and have them gone over by the machine shop and put studs in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with option D as it allows you to visually inspect inside engine. Always best option if available/affordable...sometimes I wonder is it cheaper to not and pay later....or....cheaper to do now and sleep well at night?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost always cheaper to do when you have the means, than to wait until it breaks. IMO

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there has been some gasket upgrades over the years I would pull the heads and replace them. Also it wouldnt hurt to put some new valve seals on and inspect the guides. I would replace the springs also, they get weak and can drop a valve.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since there has been some gasket upgrades over the years I would pull the heads and replace them. Also it wouldnt hurt to put some new valve seals on and inspect the guides. I would replace the springs also, they get weak and can drop a valve.

WHAT KIND OF GASKET OPTIONS ARE THEIR CUZ I CAN NEVER REALLY FIND ANYTHING?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Felpro or Victor Reihz are about the best on the market. A spray on coating of Hylomar is added insurance too... Ask around about it...:sly

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
So to summarize, all of the above.

Go with your gut. If you have the time then new head gaskets and studs is probably best. If not then put the turbo on and keep your boost at 8 or less. You probably won't have trouble. If you go this route and later on want to change gaskets, then crank up your fuel and have fun till they blow.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
corteco. gaskets have served me well and I push it hard. Victor and felpro very good as said.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont like the idea of pulling each one and putting a stud in...that just doesnt sound right to me.

I would go with plan D if you have the time and money to do so. I ran my turbo for around 15-20K miles, and it did perfectly fine with the stock head bolts and head gaskets. But I didnt run all that much boost.

BiodieselLuke

Reaction score
OK, I guess I'll wait to put the turbo in till I've got enough time to do it all.

The 6.0's and 6.4's were doing the whole replacing the bolts one at a time, which gave me the idea. I would do that if I was wanting to run it till it blows and start over, but I'll just wait