Gooseneck Mounting Location

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
I put this over in Towing, but the number of responses was underwhelming, so I thought I'd post it here...

Hi,
I'm putting in a gooseneck on a 86 f250 longbed single cab. What is the most desired location, I've heard 2 in in front of the rear axle, but wanted to run it my you guys,

Thanks

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if goosenecks are the same, but the 5er hitches are supposed to about 3-4" forward of the rear axle centerline according to the instructions that came with my hitch.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I put this over in Towing, but the number of responses was underwhelming, so I thought I'd post it here...

Hi,
I'm putting in a gooseneck on a 86 f250 longbed single cab. What is the most desired location, I've heard 2 in in front of the rear axle, but wanted to run it my you guys,

Thanks
FOr a single cab that sounds about right, if it were a CC, you'd want it a little further forward

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm changing from a ext cab to CC will there be a problem if the 5th plate is directly over the axle. Bought it that way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both my 5th wheel and the goose neck hitch are 2 inches in front of the axle center line. I can move the 5th wheel pin location forwards as much as 4 inches.... Do not set it behind the axle or you will take way too much load off the front steer wheels... Thats dangerous right there...:D

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I agree with Gary (gee Gary did U ever think that would happen?) You want the center line of the load bearing ahead of the center line of the axle. I had it 3/4 in once (space limitations) it made the front end light when pulling and the ride kinda bouncy. Remember when you start off the trailer weight will want to pull against the weight of the front of the truck. Twinscrew semis often have a problem when turning from a stop left or right. That is because of what I just mentioned. Even in my CC when loaded heavy with an E40D I could feel the front lift on take off. At least 2 in in front of the axle is a must. More depending on how you like the ride & how heavy you pull. Its a good way to put some of the trailer weight on the steering axle,even can help in the snow.

Last edited:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
my 5th wheel center pin is mounted directly overthe rear axle. is that bad?:dunno i just bought my first 21 foot 5th wheel new to the towing thing

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YUP 2 to 5 ahead of axle is industry standard. you should check the pin to trailer clearance and set a block in the truck bed and make some measurments to make shure before drilling holes. like I tell my techs, "Measure twice drill once, Keep your job"