Gooseneck Mounting Location

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm putting in a gooseneck on a 86 f250 longbed single cab. What is the most desired location, I've heard 2 in in front of the rear axle, but wanted to run it my you guys,

Thanks

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
how much play do i have with moving it farther forward... It seems like it may be beneficial to transfer more weight forward. I'm not sure on the kind, i'll look at it today and maybe take a pick. Its an oldie, the ball is non-removable and folds into the plate and then everything is flat

sassyrel

Reaction score
when i was mounting them,,the factory said three,,or four inches ahead of rear axle centerline--

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As Bill said, no LESS than 2" that's the baseline and it's considered OK for regular cabs, but ex cabs and crew cabs it's not enough to get weight on the steer axle . Personally I think 3 or more is best on just about anything, I like having weight up front, I don't like it all on the drive axle, but you don't want it too far up or you;ll start smacking the cab.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I might add, I have a Western Hauler bed that is a real popular hauling bed with a built in gooseneck setup, but surprisingly, it's not balanced very well. My rig never feels right till I have my bed tank at least half full to get the steer axle weighted down

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I have a ball setup on my 85 one at 3" and one at 5" infront of the axle. mounted to the same plate. So depending on weight of the trailer and load location on the trailer I can move it forward or rear to the best place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online