Good trade or not?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I think I might be trading my 96 F150 4x4 XLT tommorow for a 91 F250 extended cab Lariat with a 7.3 IDI. I looked at it today, it's in very good shape inside and out. the underside is as good or better than my 96. It has 407,000Km on it but the engine runs awesome and pulls good. I took it to work and let a co-worker listen to it, he worked for International for 25yrs. He said it sounded really good and the old mechanical engines are dirt cheap to run-repair and that it would give me less headaches than a electronic engine....Opnions..... The box is not beat up at all, it was used for hauling a 5th travel trailer. The headboard and tailgate are dead staight. There is a lot of old undercoating underneath....Just needs to be touched up in a couple of places. The rad support is solid with one little hole on the pass side.

It's 2wd but I have everything to make it a 4x4 (1989 F350 dana 60 donor). I'd have a spare 97 powerstroke engine and tranny from a van to put in it if/when the engine goes. It would be a straight trade, no taxes. It has bucket seats and a console like mine. Red interior. Power everything, Drives very good. Needs the brakes bled - feels like air in the lines - the fluid level is not going down any and the A/C needs attention - all there but not working....Worth it to trade? My 96 needs a rear fender patch, some rust touchups, rad support and oil pan. It's a 5.0/auto with 214K. My truck:

You must be registered for see images

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would trade if I were you. Around here those two trucks are worth about the same money, but the 91 will be able to tow much better, and will get better fuel economy. And if you have all of the stuff to make it a 4x4 and a psd engine + tranny that you could throw in down the line, it makes the deal even sweeter. I say go for it ;Sweet .

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm supposed to do the deal tommorow after work, the wifey is mad now but when I have like $60/month more cash in my pocket from the fuel savings she'll get better...LOL...It has a C9 axle code, 3.55's with a posi.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
there's no comparison between 150 and 250 if it's an even trade. especially if you have the stuff to make it 4x4 already. 150s are cars with beds.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm going to get it today or tommorow. See how my schedule works out. It will meet my needs and get me better mileage for sure. Right now I'm getting 14.5mpg (IMP not US) with my 5.0....A lot of 7.3 owners around here tell me they are getting 20-22mpg.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm going to get it today or tommorow. See how my schedule works out. It will meet my needs and get me better mileage for sure. Right now I'm getting 14.5mpg (IMP not US) with my 5.0....A lot of 7.3 owners around here tell me they are getting 20-22mpg.

I'm pretty sure that the 7.3 will get better than 20-22 mpg imperial, cause I know that some guys on here with the 7.3 idi can get 20-22 mpg US. Get some pics posted as soon as you get it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'll have some pics tonight, just brought it home. All my fellow mechanic's at work agreed it was a good trade as the 91 is in pretty decent shape and the 7.3 sounds/runs like a champ. I'm grabbing a few things off my parts truck tonight and tommorow. I think there is either air in the brake lines or a bad M/C, either way it's a freebie fix. Lots of parts here for it. It's an XLT Lariat and it actual has more power options than my 96 had...LOL....The posi works good in it, tried it out....LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's the pics. the old girl needs some tinkering but show me a 16yr old rig that doesn't.:dunno 91 F250 XLT Lariat, loaded with everything but power seats. 3.55 posi, has some almost new Michelin load ranger "E" tires on the front. How much tire pressure should I be running front and rear on this?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ya did good! I'll say basically the same thing as the guys at where you work - the mechanical injection ones are the easiest and cheapest to fix (everything breaks down at one time or another). Being it's a diesel you will see some better mileage out of it.

There is a ton of stuff to read here at OB on the IDI's - Mel has set up quite the article section on this with tips, tricks and basic maintenance tasks - should keep ya busy for quite some time.