Good deal?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are plenty of yes and no answers... First off the no answers. No if your just going to drop it in. The seller states that its been sitting out for some time. So what condition is it. No because the oil cooler may have the 6 o-rings. Now the yes answers... Yes because its really just a bolt in item. Yes because you can use your later oil cooler and be way better off about cooling the oil. The later oil cooler bundles have more fins per inch to cool with. Yes because a 6.9 wont cavitate.. Ever.... So do the math. For around $150.00 you can't pass it up. Even a complete gasket set will cost more than that. And if the cylinders are rusted you can bore it easily without any cavitation fear... Buy iy and be happy is my thoughts. You wont know till you try to turn it over if its wet inside...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Turning over by hand is good, with glow plugs out it should move with not much resistance. After sitting that long you can bet the rings are packed up Depending on air moisture in the area or moisture that may havce found it's way down the intake, there may be surface rust on the cylinder bores. THis may just shave off or it can tear up the rings if pitted excessively, But as mentioned, pretty hard to go wrong for that price. I'd be inclined to pop the heads and hone the cylinders lightly, give it new rings and valve stem seals , front and rear main seals and head gaskets at the very least. That wouldn't break the bank most likely and would save some aggravation

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm..yeah, I just don't want to go through the work of putting it in and blowing it up so freshening it up would be good. It's gonna be such a pain with it this height and I'll be doing it out side cause I don't have a shop it will fit in. The "A-Frame" we have won't fit in the shop(that has no electricity) ugh...life is good. Really wish putting a cummins in it was easier.