Going on long trip today. Need help.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an 85 cc drw 6.9 with a banks gated turbo. It has a c6 and I imagine it has 410 gears. How fast can I go for an extended period of time and still be ok? I don't have a tach so I don't know what rpm it is at when going 60 or 65 or so

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I woudn't worry about the RPM at all, the governor will save you fine, EGTs though, thats what I'd watch, do you have a working pyro?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 70, based on math, you'll be turning close to 2800 with the C6, 4.10s, and ~35" tires.

You should be fine. Keep in mind there isnt much load cruising down the interstate so keep EGTs and coolant temp in check and go with it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was on the dyno in 3rd gear at 3200 RPM it said 72 MPH, I have 33" tires.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have a new pump and I have it flowing more and I think I had the governor raised too. I had it done three years ago just didn't put it in until now so I can't remember exactly what all was done. So I probably don't want to run it on the gov lol. I might try 65 or so, never really pushed it that hard before

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had an issue with my radiator and fan when I bought the truck soi had to get a different fan and clutch. I don't think the clutch works because i never hear it kick in when it gets to the "a" on "normal". Fan spins all the time though. If I'm pulling a 14 foot boat down the highway do you think it would overheat in 90 degree weather?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. the stock gauges are a joke so dont rely on those. Get some mechanical gauges on it.

I dont think the fan clutch fully locks til over 230.. not 100% certain on that.

If you are pulling... I'd probably say 65 or so would be fine. Just keep an eye on things. The RPM isnt going to hurt anything as long as temps are kept in check.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
My fan clutch would not kick in until 215 to 225 range. It would vary somewhat with how fast I was cooking the engine up a hill towing.

I can say though you can tell the roar of fan noise when it does go .

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These engines were designed to run on the governed rpm all day long. We can run till the check engine light comes on the dash gauge but. That's 242 degrees and letting off to cool down the engine is a do it right now issue no matter where you are on the roads. After market gauges are a must have deal too as already posted.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel fan clutches kick in at 235* to 240*, when you hear the Lion ROAR it's working, might only Roar for a minute, these fans push a LOT of CFM. Just make sure the Bimetal spring in the clutch is clean, good thing to clean it with Brake Kleen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk