GM diesel swap, 6.5L to 6.2L....

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Have any of you done this swap? I have a 1995 K2500 that has had a recent
rod failure, heads cracked and I am thinking that the 6.2L would be a better
choice for several reasons. I know I am going to have to get the
6.5L tone ring off the crank and timing cover to make it work since I have
the electronic IP. Any recent experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I have been answering my own questions, here are some of the photo results;
Notice we had to upgrade engine stands prior to hanging the turbo, the crane seems to hold up better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
More pics for your viewing pleasure;

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you done this swap? I have a 1995 K2500 that has had a recent
rod failure, heads cracked and I am thinking that the 6.2L would be a better
choice for several reasons. I know I am going to have to get the
6.5L tone ring off the crank and timing cover to make it work since I have
the electronic IP. Any recent experiences would be appreciated, thanks.
I have one comment.
which belt drive system are you using?
v-belt needs the timing cover plate for the 6.2 and the serp belt needs the 6.5 plate. the differences are critical due to how the water pumps are driven.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
towcat,

Surely you noticed the FSD Cooler, which means electronic injection. Had to use the timing cover for a 6.5L so the reluctor ring and its sending unit would work. Had to have a custom modified oil pan to fit the 4x4 and use the timing cover, needs the rear lip from a 6.2L welded in a 6.5L pan to make up the half inch gap from the standard 6.5L pan. The serpentine assembly off the 6.5L was reused along with most everything else.

Would have been much easier to use 6.5L heads, but we made the injector lines work on the 6.2L heads easy enough.

Still not running yet, we have been working on other projects in the meantime.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat,

Surely you noticed the FSD Cooler, which means electronic injection. Had to use the timing cover for a 6.5L so the reluctor ring and its sending unit would work. Had to have a custom modified oil pan to fit the 4x4 and use the timing cover, needs the rear lip from a 6.2L welded in a 6.5L pan to make up the half inch gap from the standard 6.5L pan. The serpentine assembly off the 6.5L was reused along with most everything else.

Would have been much easier to use 6.5L heads, but we made the injector lines work on the 6.2L heads easy enough.

Still not running yet, we have been working on other projects in the meantime.
I did. what I didn't see to confirm was the sheet metal plate. I converted from a ECM 6.5 to 4911 DB2 for better reliability. I still used the 6.5 timing cover and plate and then discovered since I was going to v-belt I needed the 6.2 plate. just sharing my hard knock lesson. that is all.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Are you going to do a software upgrade with the motor? Heath Diesel should have a program that will work with your combination.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I am hoping the "upgrade" that is already there on the software is sufficient.

towcat,

I hope that I didnt come across as a smart ass, I appreciate all advice and lessons learned the hard way! ;) The truck was a good one till some idiot tried to see if it would turn 7 grand down a 13% grade. So far the only item I have deleted is a heatshield,
it just wouldn't fit.

We may have it running tomorrow, just have to see if my plumbing for the turbo oil line works like I hope it will.

ameristar, thanks for the compliment!

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I am hoping the "upgrade" that is already there on the software is sufficient.

towcat,

I hope that I didnt come across as a smart ass, I appreciate all advice and lessons learned the hard way! ;) The truck was a good one till some idiot tried to see if it would turn 7 grand down a 13% grade. So far the only item I have deleted is a heatshield,
it just wouldn't fit.

We may have it running tomorrow, just have to see if my plumbing for the turbo oil line works like I hope it will.

ameristar, thanks for the compliment!

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
IT RUNS! Still waiting on a downpipe to finish it up, but it runs good and sounds good. So if anyone asks it is possible to have an electronic controlled 6.2L, I did it. A transmission service and a good interior cleaning and I am ready to burn a 2yr old tank of fuel.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
nice trk build but i have got to say you have a nice service truck good lord Shes nice we need more pics of her ha ha ha ha ha i reckon its a mocanic thing

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Kevin,

I appreciate that, we were talking the other day about how rough looking the old girl is getting. I need to get it cleaned up and a little paint on it. I haven't worked out of it in two years so it is time for a little TLC. I will get some shine on it a snap a few pics. Thanks again.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
I had to do the same oil pan trick to a 6.2 transplant into a 97 flat bed car hauler, the truck already had a kentucky fried 6.2 in it of an unknown year, never checked! truck was a 6.5 electronic to begin with, but that was all gone, I put a 91 6.2 in it outta a 4X4 and had to cut up both pans as you did......but in reverse!! poor guy that bought it cooked it bringing it home from 8 hours away.....almost made it!