GlowPlug Question

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Resistance spec for a ZD9 glowplug is?

Also, if the ZD9 glow plugs are hooked up to a push button, how long should they generally last?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know for certain, but when I measured some good ones, there were just a few ohms cold. If they are 0 ohms (shorted) or if they are infinite or OL (open) they are bad. There is just a small window where they are good.

On a push button, if you don't run them too long, they should last well. Just remember, don't run them for more than 10 seconds or so. That's all the controller runs them for. If its really cold, they may go a bit longer.

Is there a reason you want to go only manual? It is possible to put a manual override on the controller. That's what I have done with mine.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go all-manual, go with the ZD-1A's (6.9 glow plugs). These are designed for higher voltage. They handle the manual glow plug setup quite well actually.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested new Motorcraft glow plugs before installation and they were about 3ohms. I am hooked up with a push button and anticipate long life. The controller will cycle the glow plugs off and on even after the engine has started. I can't picture that to be ideal for glow plug longevity.