glowplug controler

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my gp controller isn't working right because this morning it was 30 degrees and the truck fired right up after two seconds and yesterday afternoon it was 55 degrees and it took about 30 seconds. Any ideas on Tuesday it's going to be 7 degrees so I need to figure this issue out.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you guys all my glowplugs are good they ohm out at half a ohm.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electrical connections are most likely your problem. There is a pack of wires going from the pass side inner fender over to the back of the engine, they run right over the pass side valve cover. In this wiring about in front of the A/C unit there is a plug. In this pack of wires are two large yellow wires that feed the glowplug controller. The plug can't handle the current of the two yellow wires, and over time will melt the plug. If yours is melted, cut the yellow wires on both sides, and connect them bypassing the plug. What I did was to crimp ring connectors on each yellow wire, and then use small bolts to bolt the yellow wires together. I am glad I did this, because when I had to change the valve cover gasket on that side, I had to unplug the original plugs, and unbolt my "bypass" connections to get the wires out of the way so I could get the valve cover out.

If you have already bypassed the connector or yours doesn't look too melted, another place is the connectors on the glowplugs themselves. If it short cycles like some of the glowplugs are bad, go out and unplug and plug back in all the connectors on the glowplugs,, and then try to cycle it again.

The glowplug controller works mainly on current flow through it to determine glowplug on time. If something disrupts the amount of current flowing through it(like a connection with high resistance) then it "fools" the controller into thinking it doesn't need to cycle the plugs as long as it should.

One other thing to check would be the ground to the controller itself. It's shown in the picture below.

You must be registered for see images attach

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The yellow wires are bypast and glowplug harness is new.ill check the ground when I wake up tomorrow afternoon.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my gp controller isn't working right because this morning it was 30 degrees and the truck fired right up after two seconds and yesterday afternoon it was 55 degrees and it took about 30 seconds. Any ideas on Tuesday it's going to be 7 degrees so I need to figure this issue out.

Let's go over this again. You turn the key on, the wait to start light stays on for how long? And then you crank it for 2 seconds and it starts? In the afternoon, how long did the wait to start light stay on, and then you cranked it for 30 seconds?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wts light always stays on long enough for me to put my seat belt on and dig my cigs out of my pocket and light one up so the lights on for 30/40 seconds

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am stumped. Will it start if you wait just 10 seconds while the light is still on? I would think the glowplugs would be burnt up after a 30-40 second glow. If they are not, I wonder if the light can be trusted? Look at the voltage gauge in the dash, if it's very very low, that's verification that the glowplugs are receiving current. It should pop up somewhere near the middle when the glowplugs are not being powered.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the glowplugs would be burnt up after a 30-40 second glow.
I hear/read about this, but I wonder why? The PSDs, albeit using a different model of glow plug, run the plugs for TWO MINUTES on cold days. Why don't they burn up? Are the ZD1As and ZD9s really rated for that much less run time?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The voltage gauge goes into the red when the wts light is one and once it starts the voltage takes about 30 sec for it to the middle

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 is the same way. The cold weather has stopped me from working on it for now. My 91 on a 8*F day glows for about 18 seconds. My 84 which was switched to the newer solid state controller is 30 seconds on a 60*F day. I have replaced everything but the harness going to the gp's . That is my next step when it warms up a bit.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. When starting it up the tach only reads 300 rpms . A few months ago I put a new starter and I noticed it started differently
I had a brain fart LOL