Glow plugs replaced

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my glow plugs this weekend and installed 8 new Motorcraft/Berus. I started spraying them down with Deep Creep at least a week ago. After pulling the first one and finding it was a Champion :puke: I thought: Oh **** I'm in trouble here. Well I ended up removing all 8 of the Champions with no problem whatsoever. No stuck plugs, broken tips, really went very smooth. Starts in 2 seconds now and they stay on for longer too. Never tested the old ones with a test light to see how many were burned out.

Next up: Installing new BBs from Typ4 and return line kit. ;Sweet

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what did ya pay for those, I've been using Autolites, then been ok.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad S - I paid $9.49/ZD9 at Diesel Filters Online.

Ididriver - Yes, it's like night and day having new glow plugs installed. I need some battery cables as well. Was thinking of going to Tractor Supply for some.

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bird hunter, do you mind if I ask how long it took to replace them? I need to do it and want to do it myself, both for saving money reasons and learning reasons. Thanks for any info that you wouldn't mind sharing.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bird hunter, do you mind if I ask how long it took to replace them? I need to do it and want to do it myself, both for saving money reasons and learning reasons. Thanks for any info that you wouldn't mind sharing.

It took me about 4 hours to do in between Christmas shopping. I have no idea what it takes most as it was my first time :angel:. But I went slow and vacummed real good around each one and also spent some time cleaning off some crud near the back of the engine. The #2 plug was the hardest to do being under the hard injection lines, but the others were easy. I would recommend spraying them down a few times beforehand with a good penetrating oil. And go slow and take your time, but mine never gave any resistance. Also use antiseize. I torqued mine to 127 in-lbs. Good luck;Sweet