glow plug test

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. Not sure if I posted it here but here's my truck at 10f, when it's so cold wts doesnt always illuminate because of voltage drop. I wait for for cycle of voltage gauge indicating plugs are warmed up. Voltage should stay down for a solid 20 to 30 seconds even warmed up that's how mine was

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though the weather is cold here, my 1988 F250's non-turbo 7.3 IDI wait light has started turning off unusually quickly and the relay now starts clicking immediately as the light goes out (there's no longer a delay after the light goes out before the relay starts clicking). When the engine does start, it runs on some but not all cylinders for the first 15 seconds or so at which point the other cylinders kick in. Lots of smoke during start-up so am pretty sure there's no fuel delivery problem.

Question: Is this a clear indication of one or more bad glow plugs?

Thanks.

Yes, just one bad plug will make the controller short cycle and the wait to start light will go out quickly. Check all gp's with a test light and you will find the bad one(s)

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fast clicking is an indication of bad glow plugs. Test each one with an ohm meter. Good plugs are about 1 to 10 ohms and bad glow plugs will have infinite resistance or open (no resistance).

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor wiring connections in the glowplug system will also cause the same symptoms. Check the glowplugs first though.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Even though the weather is cold here, my 1988 F250's non-turbo 7.3 IDI wait light has started turning off unusually quickly and the relay now starts clicking immediately as the light goes out (there's no longer a delay after the light goes out before the relay starts clicking). When the engine does start, it runs on some but not all cylinders for the first 15 seconds or so at which point the other cylinders kick in. Lots of smoke during start-up so am pretty sure there's no fuel delivery problem.

Question: Is this a clear indication of one or more bad glow plugs?

Thanks.

YES