Glow Plug Relay On a 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Does my 7.3 have 2 Glow Plug Relays??? Which one in this pic is it??? If I have 2 how do I know which is Bad...
You must be registered for see images

I've got to get this thing fixed quick..won't start when its cold

Help..And no wise cracks from you Dodge Drivers

B

Big K

I'll preface with "I know nothing about this", and will not even mention my grid heater:oops: :sorry:

Can you trace wiring to find out which does what?
Can you test for power in - power out when it should be switched?
Any idea what the other one is for?
Would it be possible to jumper across the relay in a pinch?
They look similar, are they the same part #?

Just a couple of thoughts :confused:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I'm running in and out checking the Putter greasy hands and all...I think it's the one in the back...I just wanted to be sure...I'm going to start test here in a minute

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Hope this helps:

Attachments

• glowplug.gif
    glowplug.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 93

Max Power

Reaction score
L0L, that is the most useless diagram I have ever seen :D I guess its good if you want to know what a nut is. ROFLMAO

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Max Power
L0L, that is the most useless diagram I have ever seen :D I guess its good if you want to know what a nut is. ROFLMAO

Aint that the truth?:***:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Max Power

In Pauls defence he was trying to help...the diagram is a little useless ..if you didn't know what it looked like that would have been a good place to start..Thanks Paul

B

Big K

Wideopen, please don't to forget to post your results from this operation, and any observations that may help others. I know that other threads in the Ford forums are going, but please bring this one to completion when you can.

Hope you get it handled.

THX

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Wideopen:

My fellow staffers obviously look for any little thing to get a shot in huh? That's OK. They set around all day looking at their chosen brand of trucks experiencing delusions of adequacy.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Paul you be a Ford Man I be a Ford Man ..I not trust them :D

O.k. Guys this is what I found ..there are 2 relays on the top of the Motor mounted front to back

The rear is the Glow Plug Relay. The large post with the rubber cover is a full time 12V the Other Large Post goes to the Glow Plugs...the Little Wire Near the rear Is where when you turn the key over ic hot closing the contacts putting power to the Plugs....I'm not sure what the front is for I don't think it is a ground but I never got any power from it???

The Front relay is for the intake air heater that's in the wye pipe at the outlet of the turbo (just behind the vacuum relay with the red and green tubing in your photo). I don't remember right now how it's controlled, but it turns on during warm up idle to help cut down on the white smoke.

If it goes bad, it will just put out more white smoke than usual because the intake air isn't being preheated.

Hope this help..

[IMG]

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The Front relay is for the intake air heater that's in the wye pipe at the outlet of the turbo (just behind the vacuum relay with the red and green tubing in your photo). I don't remember right now how it's controlled, but it turns on during warm up idle to help cut down on the white smoke.

If it goes bad, it will just put out more white smoke than usual because the intake air isn't being preheated. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, your kinda right;) The air intake heater is designed to warm the intake air, but only in a few instances like the truck has to be idling for over 20 min and air must be below a certain temp. I have had mine removed from the intake since this summer and it has not affected the trucks cold weather performance at all. Dieselsite.com offers the plug to put in place of the heater for like 7 or 8 bucks. Once you remove the heater from the air intake tract you will see how big of an obstruction it is in the intake tract. Removing it can only help.:cool

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul
Dodge people gotta stick there nose in ever thing huh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828