glow plug harness design?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a shunt? I am really, really impoverished with electrical things. I do have an ammeter though.

No stock engien harness, there is no stock ford wiring left on this truck.
My setup is, manual switch to glow plug relay (stock style), 4 awg supply, 4 awg out, to 150 amp fuse, to two 6 awg wires, to each end which are the 4 10 awg individual glow plug leads attached to, by means of a large butt connector. Everything marine grade shrink wrapped.

There should NOT have to be any BUTTE connectors in the harness. Any connection should be soldered. The fuse should be at the point of power supply because the wire should be always hot. Like, battery-- fuse-wire to GP relay with a soldered ring connector on the end to the relay input terminal--relay--relay output terminal (both) wires connected with soldered rings-- each wire to a GP should be wrapped around the main lead wire and soldered, use shrink wrap on each connection. To use the shrink wrap, it has to be put on the supply wire first, then the GP wire soldered on, lay about one inch of the insulated wire against the supply wire and push the shrink wrap over it, then shrink it. Repeat for the next three. Sure hope your using copper wire and not aluminum.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I agree with Oldbull in regards to the solder, but you first want to make your connection mechanically tight, so as to hold together without the solder, then solder. I think the reason for this is that it's possible that the solder wouldn't hold with repeated heating up/melting.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good point, is it real copper wire? The stuff you buy online a lot of time is copper clad aluminum. With your size choice I would think you would be okay even at that.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes real copper wire, made in USA bought from local supplier.
So how do I get it mechanically tight, 4 10 awg wires to one 6 awg wire? Im always interested in learning better methods.
Just dont see ho wheat shrink will work with 4 wires coming out of one end..?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would probably redo it to have the lines come off short at the GP instead of the octopus thing. Then you could do this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Heat-Shrink-Tee/

About the best you can do is to solder the joints, add a dab of liquid electrical tape and then heat shrink it down. I really don't know of a good way to conceal what you have either. I would start by soldering the connections and then if it solves the problem, a dab of liquid electrical tape right at the joint and then heat shrink up the individual wires with a bigger one coming and overlapping from the single wire side. Maybe clean it up with some wire loom where you pop the wires out at the GP's.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when connecting 4 wires together, i usually cut the crimp ends off of say, an eye connector.
crimp all of the wires into it, then solder.
it makes for a cleaner solder.
and no "********" to deal with.
(the strands that tend to poke out and find its way into your finger)
sometimes a couple of different sizes of heat shrink is needed

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that T heat shrink link! I like that and will give it a try.
I will also redo it to get away from the octopus arms. Avoids that one huge joint.
If the application really did call to have 4 or more wires connect to one main wire, a distribution block should be used I assume?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would probably be the cleanest. Solder ring terminals on then bolt them all together supposing the terminals and block were rated for that kind of power. There are marine ones out there I've looked at for stuff like that. It's like using the hot post on the starter relay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.