Glow plug fun!

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the glowplugs yesterday. The two broken ones were the ones with the least resistance coming out. The bent one came from the passenger side rear, not exactly sure how that happened. And what the heck is this rubbery, siliconish, varnishey mess? I had to chisel this crap out from around all four plugs on the passenger side. I couldn't get the socket onto the nut part otherwise.

In other news, the truck cranks when its cold now. Is it normal for the relay to click 19 or 20 times after the wait to start light goes off?

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, the truck cranks when its cold now. Is it normal for the relay to click 19 or 20 times after the wait to start light goes off

It's possible for the GP relay to click ON/OFF for up to 2 minutes.

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible for the GP relay to click ON/OFF for up to 2 minutes.

Cool deal. Is that where the glowplugs will cut on occasionally while it's running? I read somewhere that they do that to make it run better/heat up faster.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm too deaf to hear mine clicking once it's running. It does not click if the light is on.only after its off if I didn't start the truck. I don't use the glows much unless it's cold then I'll give it 5-6 seconds then turn the key

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you want it to click, the clicking is what is preventing your plugs from overheating/ burning out in theory. The way it was explained to me is that a properly operating controller measures the resistance of the plugs while it's timer is on and when they heat up to the specific temp (proper resistance) it begins to turn them on in off in order to maintain that temp. If it's not clicking at some point something is wrong. Also you can look at your amp meter, it will jump around when it clicks as the gp's are throttled on and off.

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the plugs activating while the engine's running and cranking the engine while the lights on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online