glow plug controller question.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i thought i had seen it before in an earlier thread but couldnt find it after an hour of searching. so..........

is there a way to have the factory 7.3 system work, with the push button also?

reason why im asking is because the truck starts great when its cold. but sometimes when its hot, like the truck has been sitting for 10 mins or so, and i try to start it, the plugs wont light. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. when it doesnt, i look like a fool whos truck doesnt start on the first revolution. so i would like the assurance of knowing when they arent going to light, so i can push the button, and be on my way.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should always turn the glow plugs on every start, something is not right with the controller. There is info here on how to make a solid state system manual controlled. Sam did it and a few others have. I don't know how though, sorry.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on my truck, just did it a few weeks ago:

1. pull air filter box off intake

2. pull plastic cover off glowplugs controller

3. from the relay post where the white wire connects, run another wire to the inside of the cab

4. connect the wire to one terminal of a momentary-on switch (pushbutton, toggle, whatever type is to your liking), connect the other switch terminal to a good ground (such as bolts holding steering column to aluminum bracket)

Now, at this point, when you hold the switch the glowplugs will be active regardless of what the controller wants to do, however the WTS light will NOT come on - it is activated by the controller, so it needs to be rewired as well:

5. behind the controller, locate the WTS light wire, tis the only one that has a plastic connector between the controller and the main harness behind the engine

6. cut said wire as close to the controller as possible, then attach a ring terminal to the loose end from the harness side

7. attach WTS wire to the same post on the relay where you have connected both the white controller wire and your manual control one - now your WTS light will not only come when both the controller and the manual switch activate the glowplugs, but it will also blink every time the controller triggers them during the afterglow cycle.

8. snap the plastic cover back in place on top of the controller, reinstall the air filter box, you're good to go.

Now remember that wire you cut, its end towards the controller is now loose - however, it don't need insulated, as it ain't no power wire but a ground one - essentially when the controller wants the WTS light active it just closes the circuit ad grounds the light, so this small piece of wire can actually be left loose as now it will never see any power, ever.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no need to go cutting wires. Just add a second wire to the terminal with the white wire. The controller will work automatically, but if you hold your pushbutton down it will stay on (or come on).

Cutting that white wire will disable any automatic operation of the glow plugs.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct, you DO NOT cut the white wire - you only cut the WTS light wire and move it to the stud of the relay where the white wire connects to, and that's only to make the WTS light come on when the manual switch is engaged. Basically you don't cut or remove anything connected to the relay, just add wiring to that one post.

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
right, but it shouldnt be up to par if its been sitting for 10 mins. anyway, this mod worked and minus the time it took to get a switch from advance and a fuse, it only takes 10 mins max. thanks so much now this winter is going to be great!!!

next project is to incorporate a third battery. my optima yellow top is a great battery and is just lying around in my bed because i like my matching batteries under the hood. im going to put that battery to my 80 amp relay that i had my winch hooked up to, that way in the dead of winter, ill have the batteries going to light the plugs, then flip the switch and ill have the optima chime in and give some extra juice for ignition!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every 6.9 I've ever seen only uses the glow plugs when that temp switch is less than 112*F but the 7.3 system seems to cycle them every time. Well at least the WTS light comes on everytime....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeps, the solid-state does hit the glow cycle every time upon startup, it just shortens up the duration as the temperature goes up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online