Getting ripped off by machining work?

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm torqued about how much the machining work is turning out to be on this rebuilding project. I've gotten some prices on work to be done and I'd like to see if others have similar prices or not.

Magnaflux and polish crank $65
Bush rods and pin fit pistons, between $125-210, 3 different places
Heads hot tanked, pressure checked and valve job $240-300, no new parts included (except seals)

Anyone else have prices on this type work? I haven't even checked about installing cam bearings.

Paul B

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflux and hot tank crank block rods and heads $95
Grind crank $85 or polish is $45
Work heads using old valves with new seals and 1 angle valve job $350
Press rods $45
Bore out 8 cylinders $125
Shot peen rods $60
Freeze plugs and cam bearings install $45

Thats what it run me on my last build as far a machine work, it was on a 302 ford so I assume that it would be about the same for a 6.9.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Machine work is expencive and sometimes hard to find a good shop to do it. When I used to build up chevys I would budget $2000. for a long block. (Parts + machine work)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion magnafluxing an idi crank that didnt blow up is a waste. My crank grinder says they have NEVER had one check bad even catastrophic failure.
my 2 c
F350 where are you located?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Machine work is not cheap, I spent over $700 on the 351W n my Ranger for machining alone. A diesel is more work thanks to the pre-cups...If it was me I wouldn't worry about the IDI crank - tough as nails - I would spend my money in the known problem areas like block thickness (ultra-sonic test) and a new valvetrain....New valves and springs would be the main thing I'd want. We see a fair amount of high mileage IDI's and PSD's loosing valves, very little bottom end trouble.

I'm assembling a 351W right now for my cousins 69 Mach-1 Mustang....Put the crank in tonight, plastigaged all the mains and etc....Tedious but it's peice of mind for him and me....He did the full machine work job, new cam, ARP studs/bolts throughout and a whole bunch of other new parts....Said he was running handy to $3000.....Steep but everything is new except for the block, heads, crank and rods....Building a 408W stroker for it next winter...I got him a smokin deal on some Trickflow heads a while back.-Drool -Drool -Drool

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Dont be bragging LOL, 351 in a ranger...what a loser...

machining work is expensive but a good shop is well worth it because it is a lot of work and not just slappin parts together but measurements and in depth checking.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years now, but I think I paid around $750 for the head work the first time...........Please see the "Hall of Shame" for the details. That price included tanking, and pressure testing/magnafluxing (it wasn't done though!:mad: ), new valve guides and seals, new valves, and a valve grind (which was done by Ray Charles;Poke ). The block work was relatively cheap, but I got bearings, Felpro gasket set, pistons, rings, and what not from this shop as well, so that increased the total bill. The crank is freakishly beefy......I left mine on the shop floor with the cam..........it looked brand freak'n new and that motor had gotten hot enough to crack the driver's side head!

After I found out the driver's side head was cracked.........after reassembling the motor.........I never used that shop again.........I was out another $600 just to fix their mistake. I hate that machine shop now.........if you didn't notice.:D

Anyway, if the shop is good, it is worth paying a little more. It will save you money in the long run.

Heath

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i spent $750 to have the heads magnafluxed and rebuilt, all new parts except the casting itself, for my 6.9 i just sold.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yikes.I spend 100 bucks to have a set of heads R&Red here.had another set done for $150 for the pair.They blasted teh heads clean,Checked all the valve guides,Seals,etc,Checked the casting for flatness,Smoothed the end of the stem up flat,Pressure checked them,and gave them back to me.Sure,no parts were changed but they put a little hicky on the end and warrenteed they were GOOD.Sure that just means if they turned out be be bad I get the 100 and 150 back.But when they are top notch!Also,they were the only importers of NEW 7.3L heads(everyone else bought them from them and jacked the prices).

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I guess my numbers aren't too far off. I'm in Birmingham AL. I just had to fork out 160 for a set of injectors because I had the old set pop tested and they just squirted out liquid in a stream!

Paul B

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new valve guides and seals, new valves, and a valve grind (which was done by Ray Charles;Poke ).

i think that guy ported my rotary engine..i bought my rx7 with a ported motor, when i had issues with it keeping pressure. i took apart the motor to check the seals and i found the port work. guy that sold it ported it, ever see that guy again i will punch him in the head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726