Getting rid of the donut fuel line seals?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting rid of the rubber fuel line seals?

The metal fuel line from the filter to the IP have the rubber type seals on the compression fitting, has anyone ever tried taking this line out and connecting directly to the IP and the standard pipe fitting thread on the filter head.

I bought an extra brass fitting that turns into the IP from a Ford dealer and had some guys at work decide what thread type that fitting is, going into the IP. One of our engineers gave me a sheet paper with the type of thread type it is, I don't have with me right now, I'll dig it out later.
But I'm curious if anyone has already done this?

Last edited:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i was going to do this on my pump before the motor turded out on me. I have a brass 90 hose barb coming out of the IP and on the top of the filter head. Then was going to use steel braded fuel hose from summit. There is about a max of 7psi in there. Shouldnt hurt a thing

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad to hear someone had some luck with regular pipe fitting.
I tried a pipe fitting on my spare one and it didn't seem to fit really snug, thats why I dug a little deeper. I've got a problem with fuel leakage, I think it's coming from that fitting.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they are there to deal with vibration that causes the fuel lines to crack. If you put a compression fitting in there you might have trouble down the road...
JwS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The injection pump brass fitting threads is 1/2x20 national fine bolt thread. I bet that surprises lots of you guys... Mike (Knuckledragger) found this out when I was showing him my ideas of a differant fitting and line idea....:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need a -5 oring to an or jic fitting and a push on adapter for the pump, 1/4 pipe type end for the filter head, use some good fuel line or spend the dough to go to braided.

I used teflon braided on mine , but I used to work near a Helicopter company.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need a -5 oring to an or jic fitting and a push on adapter for the pump, 1/4 pipe type end for the filter head, use some good fuel line or spend the dough to go to braided.

Would there be some interest in these as a kit, if I promise not to make a profit on the parts.???
I have really cheap access to the adapters.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ4
You must be registered for see images attach

Would there be some interest in these as a kit, if I promise not to make a profit on the parts.???
I have really cheap access to the adapters.

I would love to buy one, in fact I would only purchase it if you did make a profit! I do not have the time to research nor the access to the parts or the knowledge of what would be needed. Plus then I can say I stimulated your economy LOL

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a final product. I have been looking at that line today going into the pump as I am trying to figure how I want to run my lines. I am not using that big filter setup as I have three on the frame after my pump.
You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so all we need to do is get that bolt, drill out the center and tap it for a reg fitting?

Pipe threads seal on the threads. If you look at a pipe fitting, the threads are tapered. As you tighten the pipe fitting, the fitting gets tighter and tighter as the gap between the threads on both pipe fittings closes up, creating the seal.

All other fittings like the one you guys are talking about use a straight thread. Like was said, this fitting uses a 1/2-20 bolt type thread. These threads besides not matching pipe threads, are also not tapered. The threads have nothing to do with the seal of the fitting. The threads just hold something else together that creates the seal. In this case, the 1/2-20 threads job is to hold a o-ring in place. Same with brake fittings. Brake fittings use straight bolt type threads, and their job is to push the flare together where the seal is made, the threads create no seal.

Have people gobbed on thread tape or forced a brass pipe fitting into a straight type thread and made it work? Sure, I have seen it done. But it's not the correct way to do it and it may or may not work when you are done.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good riddens donut seals!

Yup I had enough of them leaky seals and trips to IH

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I drilled and tapped the filter housing with 3/8 npt and you can see the rest.

Javier

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to buy one, in fact I would only purchase it if you did make a profit! I do not have the time to research nor the access to the parts or the knowledge of what would be needed. Plus then I can say I stimulated your economy LOL

The one for the stock filter setup would be easy to prefab, others could be done on as as needed length request. The stuff isnt cheap but you only buy it once

I also like the fittings idiabuse used, also readily available.;Sweet;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get the ORB ( o ring boss )to -5 jic male fitting from any good pump shop, it was used standard as the inlet fitting on some stanadyne pumps in different applications. I made mine up with a 90 deg fitting off the IP and a straight to the filter head where it met a jic -5 to 3/8 mip 45 deg adapter. I made sure to make up a hose with reusable ends so if out on the road and for some strange reason a 2000 psi hose decided to cut lose on me, I could just buy a chunk of hose at any hose shop out on the road, ( that type of hose being available at any heavy truck repair ) and I'd only be out the rubber and not new ends and crimp costs. Aeroquip isn't always available

It's REAL nice being able to service something related to teh pump or filter head and not have to purchase new donuts for that lame factory setup. I used to carry a little bag of those things around because they almost always leak whenever you disturb them. With a jic fitting you can olay with it everyday if you want and never have to worry about leaks ( although you might want to see someone about your obsession with fooling with your fuel system LOL