Getting rid of any e4od flaws for an idi turbo 4x4

John Toohey

Reaction score
Thanks guys for welcoming me to the forum. I'm just getting stated on a idi e4od rebuild after my trannys torque converter and pump seal went out. I'm guessing thats what happened. Up untill tranny craped out everything was running fine then my tps was kicking on the o/D light. After I fixed that it was a couple weeks till it came on again then when I pulled over to check it out it was ******* tranny fluid out of the bell housing cover and lost all gears. So now im gonna pull the tranny and get it rebuilt. I just wanted to get recommendations as far as what are the weak points that should be UPGRADED, so far I'm planing on a t/c, trans cooler and lines, shift kit and of course what ever seals are blown. Once again thanks and let me know what you think I should replace while it's being built.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can spend any amount of money getting high end rebuilds (stage, 1,2,3...) depending on the power you want to put in front of it, but I think all rebuilds address the original weaknesses. I suggest pick a reputable rebuilder and let them decide what is best for you.

I know when mine failed last summer at 320,000 KM it was that notorious bushing-where-a-bearing-shoulda-been failure. The new kit came with a needle bearing replacement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best find a shop that knows how and what to upgrade. I purchased a upgraded rebuild from Brians Truck Shop.BTS is by far the best rebuilder for the E4OD trans. They have one warranty. Any hp... Any torque... No questions asked... Mine has not skipped a beat in 10 years. They are expensive. But quality ALWAYS is.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a 4100r pan its deeper than the e40d. my trans was toast when I pulled it melted 2 and 3 gear clutches together and drive shell was cracked good. these tranny have aluminum planetary's consider the upgraded steels. definitely the input shaft with bearing. I replaced the clutch packs with red eagle. good converter and shift kit. like posted above I would find a good reputable shop. Figure out what you want to get out of it and what you want to put into it $. remember you get what you pay for

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can get a 4100r pan its deeper than the e40d.

Deeper than E40D 2wd pans.Same depth as E4OD 4wd pans.When changing to a 4R100 pan,make sure to use the 4wd E4OD filter.Added bonus is you get a drain plug.;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for welcoming me to the forum. I'm just getting stated on a idi e4od rebuild after my trannys torque converter and pump seal went out. I'm guessing thats what happened. Up untill tranny craped out everything was running fine then my tps was kicking on the o/D light. After I fixed that it was a couple weeks till it came on again then when I pulled over to check it out it was ******* tranny fluid out of the bell housing cover and lost all gears. So now im gonna pull the tranny and get it rebuilt. I just wanted to get recommendations as far as what are the weak points that should be UPGRADED, so far I'm planing on a t/c, trans cooler and lines, shift kit and of course what ever seals are blown. Once again thanks and let me know what you think I should replace while it's being built.

It will loose all gears without enough fluid.So don't jump the gun.You may just need a new front seal (possibly a new bushing too if it walked) and top the fluid back up and it probably will work just as well as it did before it happened.
It happened in my F450 and this is all I did to fix it.......Lots of trial and error lol! But I didn't need to replace the trans.

John Toohey

Reaction score
Thanks I'm gonna take that advise , I picked my truck up this weekend and before loading it on to the trailer I filled the tranny just to see if it'll shift in gear and nothing so I'm pulling it next weekend and send it to get rebuilt still not completely sure where I'm leaning towards BTS but now I'm concerned what caused it to go it's only got 110000 miles on the truck and drive train.

John Toohey

Reaction score
So I know this is a late reply but just an update on what happenedand for people purchasing a idi with an e4od checkout the bell housing for cracks on it. Mine had one big one from the top all the way down the passenger side right next to where it bolts up to the motor. I believe that caused the torque converter to be miss aligned with the block and over heat. Any way new tranny has been in and works OK it shifts hard but what I'm told that's the shift kit. my first vehicle with a shift kit so I don't know. I'm suspicious that the didn't replace all sylonoids. Well find out I got a 3yr warrenty so Im gonna see if it gets worse. Once again thanks for the replys.