Getting brake drums off

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for removing the rear brake drums on my SRW F-350?

I got the tires off, and backed the adjustor all the way IN, still they wont budge. they are in pretty bad shape, and i want to replace them when I do my rear brake job. Any help would be great, thanks

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
lots of penatrating oil and a big hammer or just a torch. heat the drum around the hub, doesnt need to be cherry, then should come off with just a little persausion.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a drift and a big hammer to beat on the surface where the wheel mounts. I have a couple old truck king pins welded together in a T shape just for this job.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Load them with penetrating oil now, and tomorrow night go out and heat with a torch. Even a little propane jobby will give you enough. Then as mentioned, impact the drum in between the wheel studs and it should pop off. Antiseize all around the hub where the drum contacts so next time it will just fall off in your hands lol.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned a little trick from the guys at the shop where they did my first inspection- You don't even need to touch the adjusters, no penetrating oil, nothing. Just get a small (short handle) sledge or a heavy ball peen hammer, and whack the drum with it. Alternate top and bottom, and side to side. Eventually it'll budge and start to slide off a bit and you should be able to grab it and pull it straight off.

I've taken my drums of like that every time and it works like a charm.

Reaction score
I learned a little trick from the guys at the shop where they did my first inspection- You don't even need to touch the adjusters, no penetrating oil, nothing. Just get a small (short handle) sledge or a heavy ball peen hammer, and whack the drum with it. Alternate top and bottom, and side to side. Eventually it'll budge and start to slide off a bit and you should be able to grab it and pull it straight off.

where on the drum are you hitting?

Thanks for the ideas guys....I agree it looks to be stuck around the wheel studs....I even had to beat the wheel off with a hammer.

I tried hitting the drum off from the rear, but just ended up with the drum cracking and breaking chunks off, same when I tried to pry with a hammer.

I've been soaking it with freeze off all weekend, and tommorow I will try heating it and hitting it around the hub area! Anti seize and new drums for sure!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about hitting it on the flat face of the drum.

Sounds like something was wrong with yours though!

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did that and broke a big ol chunk of drum off too, so be careful